1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just watching one of my girls having a dustbath

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DaveTaunton, Oct 11, 2013.

1. DaveTaunton

DaveTaunton Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2013
    Taunton, England
    And while she's doing her thing, another one has gone up to her, started pecking her (I'm assuming it's gently, she isn't making pained noises or anything) and scratching by her, literally RIGHT by her, is this normal?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. linuxman

linuxman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2012
    Yes, at least in my flock. That is just normal chicken behavior.

3. DaveTaunton

Sep 15, 2013
    Taunton, England
    Oh good! I'm certain I worry too much [​IMG]

4. hstave

hstave Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    Oh, my gosh, yes! My chickens scratch right up next to one another, lay on top of each other (often one will lay on another one's head), kick dirt all over each other, wallow, and peck bits of dirt and leaves and whatnot off of each other.
    It's part of the joys of my day when I see my chickens on cloud nine, completely relaxed and out of it in their "dirt crater" that they've dug out for themselves.

This was initially to be a flower bed - you see who runs the backyard now. [​IMG]

5. DaveTaunton

Sep 15, 2013
    Taunton, England
    Haha yeah the craters, oh god the craters, I'm surprised my shed hasn't started sinking yet because of all the little bath holes they've made [​IMG]

6. Kiasmama

Kiasmama Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2013
    They certainly do put their all into their dust baths, don't they :)

7. KaylaBird

KaylaBird Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Sunny SoCal
    When one of my girls hunkers down for a bathing, all of a sudden everyone else wants in on the action. My other ladies will come up and lay next to her in a pile or try to move into her spot by pecking or scratching. Sounds perfectly normal [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Chicken Pileup!

8. christie22701

christie22701 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    I love watching my girls taking their dirt baths. They get so twisted around and sideways I'm surprised they're not dizzy when they eventually get up. All mine are the same breed so it's near impossible to count them when they are all piled up together.

9. aliciasimon

aliciasimon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2013
    Ours take lots of dust baths. They especially love the tree wells where the soil is somewhat moist. They scratch, kick and fluff and then several others will join in. It's hilarious. We call it chicken day spa :)

10. DaveTaunton

Sep 15, 2013
    Taunton, England
    Haha it is EXACTLY just that! About 2 weeks ago they were all lined up like in a beauty spa or something, was the strangest thing I've ever seen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by