Just went out and one of my girls is dead.....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nuttyredhead, Sep 26, 2010.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Yesterday she was pecking alot at her band on her leg. Just thought it was bothtering her (they have been wearing bands for almost 2 months). Then last night she was still outside after everyone was in. I took her band off, and put her in the coop. I checked later last night and she was under the roost, i picked her up and put her on the roost, she kept holding up her leg. My son let them out this morning, he didnt say anything. I just went out to talk with my chickens and shje was dead in the coop, stiff, and they others had been pecking out her feathers....

Now what? Do i need to clean out my coop? Disinfect it??? I dont know why she died, She laid an egg yesterday. Other than picking at her leg she was fine. I looked ove the girls and there are no mites. They all seem ok.

What should i do about the coop?? (can you tell im upset??)!!!

2. MicMoo

MicMoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I sorry about the loss of your hen.

Sometimes things 'just happen' and it might have had nothing to do with her leg or the leg band so I don't think it's necessary for you to do anything about the coop. Others might have different advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by