Just what are these girls??????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by peewee, Nov 11, 2008.

1. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    The guy at the feed store had no idea what these girls were but told me they lay brown eggs. Don't know if this is true because they have not laid for me yet. My neighbor told me they were Old English Game hens. I thought they were EE's. Then I see pedenes birds for sale in another post (Phoenix hens)and I can really see that they may be phoenix. Of course they look like all the other ones to. At least to me. Maybe you guys can help me??
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  2. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Aren't they beautiful!

My OEGB hen looks just like them. I love her coloring. I think he is right.

3. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    look like old english game hens !! but they may be golden pheonix hens not sure . But they sure are pretty

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Looks like Black Breasted Red Old English game hens.

5. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    blue legs makes me think hatchery grade phoenix. if they develop white earlobes and lay a light brown tint egg that's probably them.

6. peewee

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Thank you everybody for your help. I bought them because I thought they were pretty and different than my others. If they are OEG hens do I need to treat them any different than my others. I have no knowledge about these girls.
    If they are phoenix when should the ear lobes turn white?
    I am posting a pic. of one of the girls face so maybe that would help. This one has one of the smaller combs.
    Any info about these is greatly appreciated.
    [​IMG]

7. De

De Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Camden,AR
    They look like my old engish game. They make good moms to any babies, ducks,guineas(keets) and chicks. De

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I was gonna say no way they are OEG. [​IMG] Are they bantam or standard sized? My oeg hen is much bigger in the body than those girls are!

9. WA23

WA23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    Northwest WA State
    Quote:I have two Golden Phoenix that look just like them (identical) but they have white ear lobes. Golden Phoenix should lay small, white eggs.

edit to say: the ear lobes on mine did not turn white until about 3.5 - 4 months of age.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  10. peewee

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    These girls are standard size. Guess I should have said that earlier.
    If the ear lobes turn white at about 3-5 months old I am beginning to think that these girls are not phoenix. Don't know the exact age but I am guessing that they are older than that.
    I'm glad to hear that they make good moms. They are so wild and flighty right now that I can't get in with them with out covering my head and waiting for them to calm down and realize that I'm the one with all the munchies. Getting better with this but I think it's going to take some time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by