Just what IS in scratch?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NYRIR, Jun 11, 2011.

1. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I just wondered if anyone knew what grains are in the Purina scratch? I was giving my birds birdseed mixed with extra BOSS for a daily treat.Today while at TSC I thought,why not try this scratch....it would save me some money..anyway, it says for geese,turkeys,chickens and ducks...how much should I mix in for the ducks? I don't want them to get too fat! They are enclosed so don't get as much exercise as my geese and chickens. Is this ok to give to any age?
    Thanks

2. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Its corn, and oats, and I dont know what else, I read the bag once. But I forgot, I just throw it on the ground ( just kind of sprinkle bits here and there ) for the chickens & ducks to dig around in the grass or dirt, and mix it in evenly with layer mash/ duck pellets.

3. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    Milo is also in there.

4. Roo on Harley

Roo on Harley Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Texas
    I wouldn't mind scratch as cereal with milk

5. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Millet,rye and buckwheat too. I give my chickens scratch in the morning when I first let them out, tossed about the run and where they free range.

6. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    The bag doesn't tell you what's in it.....that's why I was asking. I'm not really "up" on my grains in the raw [​IMG]

7. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I mix up my own and find it cheaper that way. BOSS, whole oats, cracked corn, cheap bird seed (milo). I get the big bags, 50# for the grain, I think the birdseed and BOSS are 40#ers. I sometimes even add a bag of cheap mare and foal pellets when they go on sale.

8. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    the bag doesn't have a ticket looking thing at the bottom of the bag sewn in? That is strange.

Our is cracked corn, milo, wheat, millet, oats, and rye.

9. BHyder1

BHyder1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2009
    Missouri
    My chickens love purina scratch, and it is slightly cheaper.. Sunflower seeds has almost doubled, so I also mix mine. Only a couple of cups a day, as I have heard it does make them fat! (like cookies!)

10. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    I don't feed my birds scratch, I try to find other treats such as discarded vegetables from the produce market. I really wish that one of the feed makers would make a pellet covered in a hard yellow shell to simulate scratch and keep the birds on a more healthy diet. I am amazed that a feed company has not come up with the idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by