Just when you think you have your kids figured out...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DarkUnicorn, May 12, 2008.

1. DarkUnicorn

DarkUnicorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Walden, NY
    They ask you if they can raise chickens... On Mother's Day!

So I googled and found this site. Very very nice [​IMG]

Spent ALOT of time reading...

And just ordered my first 3 chicks ever!! :eek:

One for each of my boys, I have two... let them choose "their"Chicken, within reason. No they could not, would not pick the same breed!!!

And I have 1 heading my way as well [​IMG].

I'm more nervous NOW than when I found out my boys were about to be born!

What Have I Gotten Myself Into? [​IMG]

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    How wonderful! I am excited for you. As far as what have you gotten yourself into? OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have no idea honey!![​IMG]

3. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    [​IMG]

Congrats. on your new chicks. It all goes down hill from here...lol You can say that these first 3 were for your boys, but now they will all be for you...lol

Dorothy

4. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    [​IMG]

You will soon have about 50 more, so no worries! We will help you get there. [​IMG]

**WARNING** Chickens are highly addictive. Studies have shown that they are genetically similar to Pringles, and that just one is NEVER sufficient. Studies have also shown that people who own chickens are crazy, but they are also the happiest people on Earth. [​IMG]

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Welcome - welcome - welcome!!

You have such wonderful and smart boys![​IMG] You will be so glad you listened to them.

When do your chicks arrive? What breeds did you get?

Everyone here is very willing to help... spend lots of time using the Search function at the top of the page and then ask questions if you can't find answers.

Have lots and lots of fun!! Then, order more chicks!![​IMG]

6. DarkUnicorn

DarkUnicorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Walden, NY
    Well I think we are stuck with 3 total for now....

Unfortunately I am divorced and living with my very very very understanding parents.

My Dad jumped on the idea of the boys having a chicken each (and a Spare for Me [​IMG])

My Mom... well... she's um.... not so thrilled yet.....

They will have a Yard of their own 8-10 feet by 25 feet. I will let them range on the weekends when I'm home and can keep an eye on them. We have a car and truck repair shop that wraps around so I don't want any injuries....

I have a funny feeling there will be more.... Both boys want to find a 4-H in the area now too.

So far we have 2 Barred Rock Chicks and 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte Chick heading our way.

7. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I bet Mom will come around soon. For me chickens in my backyard are like an aquarium; beautiful colors and amusing antics. I started with two hens, got a few more, lost a few, thought maybe I'd give up on chickens for a while, was given two as payment for tutoring, found this site, now have (hang on I have to count....) 17 chicks and chickens and two ducks, with two more ducklings soon and a big new coop that will have room for even more chickens since I know I'm not done..... [​IMG]
    Welcome!

8. HenMamma

HenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    Emmet TWP, MI
    Chicks are very addictive! I have 2 babies now, 6 more tomorrow, and I still travel the farm supply circuit to see of they have anything interesting. DH says 10 is the limit, so... I am allowed to find 2 more.

9. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    You will love having chickens! At first I just wanted to have some fresh eggs, then once the chickens got here I had to have more. I have barred rocks and gold laced wyandottes, good choices. By the way your mom will come around, especially when the eggs get here, and they are so therapeutic just to watch.

10. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    What Have I Gotten Myself Into?

If you only knew [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by