Just When You THINK You're Done.....I have a BROODY! ARGH!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledhen, Sep 9, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Glenda is my Blue Orp x Buff Brahma pullet. She looks like a black Brahma and is the daughter of Suede and Caroline. Glenda is larger by a good bit than her mother-more Orp-like body, but Brahma head and feathered legs. Poor thing is almost bald from molting right now, but she's been sitting in the sideways milk crate nest on the floor of the coop for hours at a time for the last few days. Day before yesterday, she did lay and egg, but not yesterday plus she spent the night in the nest. Today, she ran out with all the others for their morning handful of scratch so I checked in the nest. No poop. That means she wasn't just roosting in there, she was holding her poop just like a broody. She is not grouchy, but Glenda never is. She sort of grunts and flattens herself out if I reach in to pet her, but that's about it. So, I have a broody, going into the Fall. I was so happy to be done with chicks this year. Well, I may give her a couple or three BR eggs and maybe one of my black Orp, Delilah's and just give them away or sell them when they hatch. Man. ((sigh)). This is Glenda.
    [​IMG]

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] You could just break her. [​IMG]

I'll look for chick pics in a few weeks! [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

Well, Kitty, I had a bad experience trying to break a first-time broody, so now, I try to give them something. Actually, this may be good. Someone just called about Blue Orpington and Barred Rock chicks. My bators are put away for the year, but now I have Glenda.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Happy Hatching, Glenda! [​IMG] We all knew you couldn't give up that opportunity to shove eggs under her, right. [​IMG]

Jody

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:[​IMG] Just the excuse you needed to put eggs under her! We do expect pics in a few weeks!

6. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Hehehehe...... there's always one hen who gets a broody idea at the wrong time of year. Problem I have is that one broody often triggers others to go broody.

Chel

7. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Shhhh... my last broody just hatched chicks last week. I really don't need anymore mixed breed chicks and my marans are not laying very well. Don't jinx my flock(as though there is a hen left who has not gone broody,lol).

8. speckledhen

Quote:Chel!!! [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

She has three Orps and four Barred Rock eggs under her now. We'll see how she does as a first-time broody now.

10. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    What a pretty girl. I'm sure she will be a wonderful mom.

Anne

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by