Just witnessed a chick choking

Katesfunnyfarm

Chirping
Jun 23, 2020
I never thought in a million years I’d be sitting on the floor, fresh out of the shower with just a towel and worried sick about a chick in my lap, but here we are. I’ve got 5 bantams in the brooder right now, about 5 1/2 weeks old. They sure are feisty little buggers. I’ve got a for sure cockerel. Not nasty, yet, but usually very spunky. He’ll come running to greet my hands every time I go to the brooder. Before I got in the shower he was his usually spunky self, trying to fly right out of the brooder. I got out of the shower and went to peek in on them...found him in the corner by himself, eyes half closed, gasping for breath and stretching his neck. When he took breaths in, it sounded raspy/gargley. I went to scoop him up...he didn’t move, flinch, open his eyes, anything. Normally he’s got quite a few things to say to me for picking him up. Massaged his throat...he had quite a large lump at the beginning of his esophagus. I offered him water, dipped his beak. He tried to swallow, didn’t work. Some of the water even came dripping back out of his beak. At this point I’m panicking...wanting to remove the blockage but not sure how to do so without causing further harm. The way he was breathing made it sound like it almost had a respiratory issue...but I knew he was completely fine shortly before this. I massaged the lump A bit more. By now he has his eyes completely closed, he stopped stretching his neck. I thought for sure I’d have a goner right before my eyes. Then he suddenly shook his head. Oh my lord. Food, mush, mucus went flying. On me, mind you...I’m In just a towel. The floor. There was quite a bit. He perked up a little after this happened. Shortly after...went back to stretching, gasping, eyes closed. Lump was smaller but still there. I dipped beak and put a drop of olive oil in with syringe. Suddenly, I felt the lump flatten and move down his throat like a normal bolus of food. Eyes immediately brightened, he started chirping like crazy, drinking a ton, and proceeded to peck around and scratch looking for more food. 30 mins past the incident and he’s acting as if it never happened. Good lord. I felt like a helpless mother with a choking child. Anyone ever witnessed a chicken truly choke?

Back
Top Bottom