1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

just wondering about a cross

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by augiedranch, Jan 5, 2015.

1. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    I have a rhode island red rooster, he is with red stars, tetra tints, leghorns, and Dominique's. What would the offspring be if he bred to these ladies? Look like? Good layers? Name for the crosses? Thank you in advance. (Only asking because I have a cochin bantam who went broody, and was wondering if I should put any of the fertile larger breed eggs under her, as I would just keep the offspring as pets).[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The stars, tints and leghorns will give red and white offspring that lay brown eggs. The Dominique will give you sex linked chicks, males will have a white spot on their heads, females will have solid heads.
    Do you have a plan for the cockerels? Keeping half a dozen as pets is not feasible for most folks.

3. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    I have a "rooster coop". A big run and coop for the pet roosters... has worked so far, but not sure how long I can get away with it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by