Just wondering if anyone can tell me what I have

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DruT54, Oct 29, 2016.

1. DruT54

DruT54 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2016
    Last year I bought a couple of Australorp Hens and some Cochins. The Cochin roo bred with the hens and I hatched out some eggs. Today 2 of my new little pullets laid me the prettiest blue-green eggs. Moms lay brown so I am wondering if anyone has an idea of what genetics they may have. Also, one of my little Cochin girls hatched out a very pretty splash Cochin roo.

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away...

pictures please! [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    pictures speak 1,000 words

4. DruT54

Jan 30, 2016
    Moms[​IMG]

Dad[​IMG]dad and Cochin mom
    Offspring[​IMG]
    eggs[​IMG]

5. DruT54

Jan 30, 2016
    I posted some, thx, hope they help D

6. DruT54

Jan 30, 2016
    Done, thanks :D

7. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Side profile of the roo's comb? From that angle it kind of looks like a possible pea comb.

Does his comb look different from the usual single blade of comb with several spikes, more like maybe a chewed up bubblegum? Sorry for the visual but it's just the best way I can describe a common look of pea comb mixed with single comb lol...

I ask this because if they are combined in a line of chickens, the pea and gene for blue/green eggs are very closely linked together and inherit together "99%" of the time. If he has pea comb, then he is really mostly cochin with a dash of either easter egger or Araucana blood, you won;t ever really know unless whoever did the first cross tells you..

This also means if the rooster IS pea combed and is not pure for it- throwing both pea combed and single combed(thats the regular type of comb like on a leghorn or a purebred cochin) offspring you can tell right away which pullet is going to give you blue/green eggs(the pea combed ones) or brown eggs(the single combed ones)

In the offspring it seems like the black and the white/black spotted one have pea combs. So probably this is what is actually going on- you have cochins with a dash of araucana/EE blood... if you know which ones lay the green/blue eggs check their combs.

by the way if this is not clear by now, either parent can pass on the pea comb/blue-green egg gene.

8. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    A favor- a full body pic of the black/white spotted one on the far right? The color pattern seems extremely unusual.... is he red and white instead of black and white?

9. DruT54

Jan 30, 2016
    Thanks for that information. Actually, I looked more closely, the roo does have a comb that looks like a wad of bubblegum the Mother Aussie and Father Cochin made an all black roo with a comb that looks like a wad of bubble gum also. He has a wonderful personality too.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  10. DruT54

Jan 30, 2016
    Here is a picture of the spotted one if this is the one you mean. He actually got a little more of the golden red in his saddle feathers and on his neck. I gave him and his brother who looks just like their dad to a friend with 50 hens so I don't have a more recent picture, but I'm pretty sure he's a happy roo :D The mother Cochin has a little red on her neck also and she is quite broody so I'll probably let her set some eggs in the spring. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by