Just wondering if anyone's ever seen something like this..?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pipdzipdnreadytogo, Oct 4, 2011.

1. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Thomas is a 5 month old Easter-Egger cockerel. I noticed a month or two ago that his hip seems to be deformed. He's not had anything different than the rest of the perfectly healthy, happy birds from this year's brood.

I've picked him up and felt him over a few times now. It isn't like swelling; there's absolutely no give to it. It's almost like his hip bone is overgrown or something! He still eats, drinks, and walks around just fine. There's absolutely no signs that he's suffering for it, or that he's in any pain at all, even when I press on it. He is small compared to the other cockerel from this year, but so are the pullets that he resembled before they all got feathers. The only indication that anything's wrong (other than the very visible lump on his back) is that he kind of walks with his entire body tilted to the side opposite from the lump.

The only good picture I've gotten of this is from a week or so ago. There's been just a little more growth since, but it's basically the same issue:
    [​IMG]

Anyone?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Thank you for the link! I can do a little digging of my own over there!

I've had a hen die of (suspected, not confirmed) ascites and this seems to be quite different, though. But it was worth a try. Thanks for giving it a shot, anyway! [​IMG]

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I suppose you'd have to x-ray it to find out for sure, eh? I hope that he does ok with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by