Just wondering what other types of birds can be housed with my gambel quail.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mary1956, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Mary1956

Mary1956 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2015
    Any suggestions on other birds that can be housed with my gambel quail. Or any other type of companion. I have 1 quail who needs a friend and housing is 6' long by 6' high by 5' wide. TIA

2. broody rooster

broody rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2015
    im thinking maybe a female coturnix or a dove ?

1 person likes this.
  3. Mary1956

Jul 14, 2015
    I believe this is going to be a male quail as he seems to be getting the rust on his head and some black on face. It's about 3 months old. So you,think a female would be best?

4. Halloweengirl13

Halloweengirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Valdosta Ga
    Female coturnix might work, I often use coturnix as buddies for other lonely birds. I had a coturnix with a lonely male button quail and surprisingly I have a male coturnix raising some baby button quail for me... And a few female coturnix living with my lonely female bobwhite. They dust bathe and snuggle up with each other.

1 person likes this.
  5. broody rooster

Jul 17, 2015
    cool i didn't know male coturnix help raise babies i thought only monogamous quail help like buttons , gambel's and california

6. Chris102

Chris102 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Conroe, TX
    I've housed many species of quail (including Gambels) in mixed flights and aviaries. I raise mostly finches and doves and haven't had any issues with aggression. Right now I have 6 coturnix housed with about 30 Zebra Finches, 2 diamond and 2 white winged doves in an 8 X 8 walk in aviary. They all get along great. Just keep a close watch on any new birds you add to the mix! Even though they SHOULD get along, you never really know until you actually house them together. I have a diamond dove that can't be in the same cage with anything...they're usually very passive, this guy didn't get the memo...he'll chase any bird I put with him to the point of exhaustion. So again, there are plenty of other species you could put with your quail, just watch them VERY closely for a good while.

1 person likes this.
  7. broody rooster

Jul 17, 2015
    where'd you get white wing doves?

8. Chris102

Chris102 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Conroe, TX

Migratory Bird Permits. Kind of a pain, but absolutely worth it to have some of our native species...mostly Doves.
    I have a few Inca Doves and a pair of Mourning Doves too! The White Winged Doves are my favorite though...just because of how calm they are. They're less flighty than my Ringnecks that have been bred in captivity for 100's of generations! All three species raised young this year! Any buyer must have the same permits for transfer&purchase of them.

9. Halloweengirl13

Halloweengirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Valdosta Ga
    I think Mr.mom is an oddball lol but its funny watching the babies following him to the water and food and snuggling with him and ditto on what chris102 said definitely observe for a while to make sure of compatibility,Mr.Mom was with the babies because he got his whole face pecked up by his siblings. I put him with the babies to protect him while he healed.

[​IMG]

10. Mary1956

Jul 14, 2015

Cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by