Just wondering?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smokeater413, Apr 2, 2009.

1. smokeater413

smokeater413 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    NW Florida
    We have recieved over 9 inches of rain in the past 3 days and it got me to asking....can chickens swim?

2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    WOW sorry about your rain issues. I have seen a roo on youtube swim but I don't think anyone should try that at home. I hope there's lots of sun in the future forecast!

3. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Ours take great lengths to avoid both puddles and snow. It doesn't bother them as long as they have somewhere dry.

4. smokeater413

Mar 31, 2009
    NW Florida
    Well... this IS Florida...if you dont like the weather just wait five minutes!

5. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    I posted a similar post earlier. [​IMG] I was wondering if they could get something like foot rot from walking around in muddy water for sooooo many days.

PS - What do you do w/ your chickens during hurricane season?

6. smokeater413

Mar 31, 2009
    NW Florida
    I'll find out... this is my first year with them.

It'll be hard for me also because i'm a firefighter/paramedic and will not be home for being recalled into work

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  7. roosty

roosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Georgia
    Funny you should ask this....just the other day I was at my moms house, we were trying to get one of her chickens up that wondered to the other side of the lake. Just as she was about to pick it up her dog ran over and scared it and it flew right into the lake. I thought for sure it was a gonner but NOPE! It swam right back to the shore and she picked it up. It swam a good ways too.
    Long story short....YES THEY CAN!!!!! [​IMG]

8. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    I thought for sure it was a gonner but NOPE! It swam right back to the shore and she picked it up. It swam a good ways too.
    Long story short....YES THEY CAN!!!!!

[​IMG]

WHO KNEW????? [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] To answer your question, chickens cannot swim. A co-worker of mine had a chicken that was the results of a chicken and duck mating. They hatched the eggs in their Incubator and when the chick hatched it looked like a chicken but had webbed feet. It grew up ok. About a month ago it was found dead in their cows pond apparently it had drowned.

10. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    how about a duck that thinks shes a chicken lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by