Just wondering..

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by animal_lover03, Sep 15, 2009.

1. animal_lover03

animal_lover03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    if all my pullets are pullets.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ignore the guinea in the first pic,(if you can see the back of him), i know he's a he. I know you cant see them very well, but any opinions are fine.

2. obe10

obe10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Irmo, South Carolina
    Notice the two black ones in the first picture, see how much bigger and redder there combs are they look like roos to me the second picture is hens the third one is hard to tell but I am going with hen the forth is also hard to tell I am going to say but i am also going with hen, but I may be wrong.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  3. animal_lover03

animal_lover03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Thankks

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    All 100% sure they're hens.

5. obe10

obe10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Irmo, South Carolina
    Quote:???????

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    They all look like hens to me. I don't see any saddle/hackle feathers in the bunch.

7. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.

100% they're all hens?

They have big combs and wattles sure, but that's common in production breeds (and some others). The cock/cockerels would be much larger.. When figuring out the sex you need to pay attention to if the feathers are pointed or rounded in the hackles/saddles/tail. How big they are, how they carry themselves, and as well as the plumage/color. Most breeds will look differently in males than females IE males will be lighter or not as fine in color (or can be finer) etc.

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio

100% they're all hens?

They have big combs and wattles sure, but that's common in production breeds (and some others). The cock/cockerels would be much larger.. When figuring out the sex you need to pay attention to if the feathers are pointed or rounded in the hackles/saddles/tail. How big they are, how they carry themselves, and as well as the plumage/color. Most breeds will look differently in males than females IE males will be lighter or not as fine in color (or can be finer) etc.

Agreed. All hens.

9. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Yep, all hens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by