Just Wondering...

Chickaroo!

Songster
12 Years
Dec 27, 2007
I haven't (thank goodness) had any of my hens die, but I was just wondering...when one does, do you have to do a major cleaning/sanitizing on the coop, run, bowls, etc. ? I know it may be a morbid question, but I'm really curious.

arround 5 years higher. Um well if it dies of natural causes then i would just clean where it died and the feeder and waterer. if it died of a disease of something, then a super clean! If it gets eaten by a predator well then the cleanup is done, maybe a little raking! Oh and will i chicken die on the roost and fall off, or will it lay on the floor?

It depends on the manner of death.
Like what Brooster said: If it was a predator, then just taking care of the area would be okay. That's what I did with Tom when the raccoon got her.

But when my Slifer died of bumblefoot, I took all of the bowls and dishes and blankets and washed them all out in hot water and bleach and let them sit out for a few days in the sun.

It depends, Brooster a predator may take them off the roost to eat, so you'll find it on the floor. If they die they'll fall off too.
But if the bird is that sick, it most likely won't be able to get up on the roost in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom