Just working away....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Iowa Roo Mom, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Has anyone noticed that it really slows down between 12AM and 8AM CST? Here I am just a workin away and alot of my fellow BYC members are sleepin'! Sheesh! [​IMG]

ETA: Relly, I am not "working" at all. Tonight I clocked in to do 1:1 supervision with a patient on the medical floor. Not a bad way to make 12 hours pay, but one must find ways to occupy the mind or risk falling asleep!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    What are you doing for work?

3. Iowa Roo Mom

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    RedHen! You changed your avatar! I like it, but what happened to the piggy? How are the piggy kids these days?

4. bigkford

bigkford Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Well not all of us. I live in Ohio, I am still awake. I also get up at 4:30 in the morining. But it is Sunday so I get to sleep in till 7:30!!

5. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I am awake too! [​IMG] I really should be sleeping but I just can't seem to relax tonight. My sweet hubby, now he can be snoring before his head hits the pillow! Not fair!! [​IMG]

6. bantamsrus

bantamsrus Songster

Oct 10, 2008
    Charlotte, MI
    I'm still here at work--Large Animal Emergency Clinic. We have some in-patients but nothing has come in today. I'm sure with the rain today and the heat wave tomorrow we'll have lots of stuff to do tomorrow though! [​IMG]

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Piggies are good. Thanks. [​IMG] Thay all got a bath today..that was fun.. [​IMG]

8. Iowa Roo Mom

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Quote:Now that would be an awesome job! I've often though I'd rather take care of sick animals as opposed to sick people- especially when they are flinging bolily waste at me. [​IMG] I really do love my job, though. Most nights, anyhow. So do you have to stay all night to take care of the inpatients? How does that work? What do you see most in the summer, besides heat-related illness?

BTW: [​IMG] to all the night owls and insomniacs!

9. bantamsrus

bantamsrus Songster

Oct 10, 2008
    Charlotte, MI
    We have 24/7 hr care here--there's 10 technicians that cover the shifts. Whatever Resident that is on-call takes the emergecy calls and they have "back-up" of one of our two board-certified emergecy clinicians.

Winters are pretty quiet. Spring starts off with "foal season"--a lot of "dummy foals", some premies, some renal failure ones, some meconium impaction, some colicy ones, distocias. Early summer is start of colic season--mostly from people turning their horses straight out onto grass. (colics continue throught the whole year--just a "rush" in early summer). When it gets hot the Potomacs start coming in (diarrhea, not eating, laminits--about half don't make it [​IMG]). We also see food animal so there's distocias in all the species, DA's in the dairy cattle, spleen torsion in the lamas/alpacas, bloat in the cattle/goats, etc.

Then you've got all your various "fun stuff"--horse hit by car, sheep attacked by dog, shelter fell on horse, barn fires, neuro cases (EPM/rabies), lacerations, broken bones, eyeball problems.

We also take care of whatever is here from the daytime--surgeries
    or medical cases.

Most days I love my job [​IMG]

10. Iowa Roo Mom

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Quote:Trade ya [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: