Just Yolks.. What did we do wrong?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by govega, Dec 16, 2008.

1. govega

govega Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2008
    Allentown NJ
    So this is my story. We bought 8 fertilzed eggs and put them in our incubator, it did not have a turner but was the one they sell in Agway, styrofoam with water wells, and a thermostat. We calibrated the thermostat and set the eggs, we hand turned 3-4 times a day being careful with them and washing up before touching them...and candled at seven days. They were bantam eggs but they were dark green, we could not see too much from the candling, we keep them and candled them again at two weeks, we only saw a large air space and a dark area, no veining, but continued... at 21 days, nothing, we increased the humidity with a sponge and some paper towels, nothing...

Yesterday was day twenty four and my husband cracked all the eggs opened. Not one had developed at all! They were still yolks. They did not have any evidence of bacterial infection, they were all bright and clean with no blood.

Now we are thinking maybe the eggs were not fertilized since not one developed at all. Should I contact the seller and let her know? They are Auruacana eggs and even she admitted they have limited hatchibility, but we expected maybe two or three to hatch. They were kind of expensive, too.

Thanks for any advice,

Penny
    (A disappointed mother to be)

2. A.J.'s

A.J.'s Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Tennessee
    If I were your supplier I would definately give you more eggs. I cant imagine anyone saying that they are limited hatching. to my experience they are strong.
    sorry tht is so much time and trouble to not get a chick at all.. I think they were probably not fertile. but ive never heard of a bantam laying green eggs. could have been pullet eggs and not likely fertile.
    but there are a few things left that i dont know about... lol

edited to tell you that if you want I will send you a dozen green eggs to hatch ee's but still.... and too my roo is a rir so you might not want them.. im into eggs not breeding.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  3. govega

Nov 7, 2008
    Allentown NJ
    Thanks AJ- I am also into eggs-- we sell some at my neighbors farm stand, and I was hoping to get some green colored egg layers so I could sell some to the fancy folks around here. Are the hens Auruacanas?

Penny

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    [​IMG]

Sorry about your bad hatch [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm guessing they wernt fertile like you said, I would contact the seller and tell her/him what happend. Hopfully he/she will send you more eggs !! At least for just the cost of shipping !!

It could also have something to do with the handling durning shipping.

How far were they shipped ?

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    A.J.'s :

If I were your supplier I would definately give you more eggs. I cant imagine anyone saying that they are limited hatching. to my experience they are strong.
    sorry tht is so much time and trouble to not get a chick at all.. I think they were probably not fertile. but ive never heard of a bantam laying green eggs. could have been pullet eggs and not likely fertile.
    but there are a few things left that i dont know about... lol

edited to tell you that if you want I will send you a dozen green eggs to hatch ee's but still.... and too my roo is a rir so you might not want them.. im into eggs not breeding.

True araucanas have a lethal gene, which would make them have limited hatching. I would stiil think the seller would send you some more. That is terrible that none hatched, and I can imagine how much bantam araucana eggs would be!
    But I agree with you, they should have developed some at least. What kind of thermometer did you have? Did you calibrate it to make sure it was accurate?​

6. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Oh Penny,
    I am sorry to hear that is how your hatch turned out. That is bad. I would definitely contact the seller. At least SOME of the eggs should have developed. Even in my recent bad hatch I had some development.

7. govega

Nov 7, 2008
    Allentown NJ
    We used just the thermometer that came with the kit, non digital, a mercury thermomemter and made sure it was calibrated (I am in healthcare and my husband is an aerospace engineer, so we are good at that!) and keeping temps stable.

One thing that was really bad that went wrong. The post office actually opened up the box and inspected it. I was really ballistic about this, being they were live eggs. I do not know if they shook them or what looking for drugs? I told them from the start that the could have compromised my eggs.

If that were the case, they were dead before they were set!

In the meantime I would be willing to try again, I have contacted the person I got them from. She is near Allentown PA and I am from Allentown New Jersey, about at most a two hours shipping drive...

Penny

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by