Justice!!

JenifferHartman

Chirping
6 Years
May 22, 2013
Basehor, KS
Well we lost another chicken earlier (one of our meat birds). Havent had an attack in QUITE a while.. They free range and I was a little late getting them tucked in and something got to them. I got the rest of them cooped up and set my trap. My dog Dennis and I just went out to check it. Pup found a opossum snooping around the coop and it proceeded to "play opossum". I had Dennis stand guard and went to get my trusty shovel and popped him on the head a couple times, then threw his ugly mug in the creek for a nice middnight swim. Let this be a lesson to the rest of you mangy critters picking on my chickens. HA!!

I lost a lot of chickens to coons this year. I trapped 4 and the last one I quartered and grilled. The chickens just love the taste of grilled coon.
Now that's justice.
yippiechickie.gif

We've trapped 13 coons this year.. Cant say ive been brave enough to eat one. We live near a heavily wooded area with a creek that runs through the back of our property so they are subjected to all kinds of predators. We lost 5 when we started out with them this year. 6 total. We haven't had much of a problem since we bumped up security. Not too bad for the 25 birds we started with.

Last edited:
Sometimes I have as many as 100 both free range and pens in 5 or more flocks.
I lost a record 25 birds this year, 3 to the neighbors' dogs yesterday and the rest to coons.
I would eat the coons if I lived in the country but I'm in the 'burbs and I'm sure they are eating some pretty disturbing things like garbage. I have a big open pit so I just grilled it up for the chickens to eat. Payback is you know what.

Last edited:
I have trapped possums and cooked them in an old crock pot that I use for cooking animal food.

I let them fast for 24 hours, let them out of the cage, apply a shovel to the head, throw them into the crock pot and 6 hours later serve dinner to the hens. :)

I am considering doing this to some squirrels that are dining in my chicken house daily.

Back
Top Bottom