Juvenile Chicken Help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Urbanhandyman, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Urbanhandyman

Urbanhandyman New Egg

Aug 3, 2011
    Hello! I have 1 Mille Fleur D'Uccle hen, and 3 Blue Silkies juvenile chickens, and 2 Big Hens (1 Spangled Russian Orlof and 1 mix Buff cochin). Whenever I look out to the coop, they seem to be fine. The young chickens don't walk around as much as the big girls and aren't harrased directly when they walk around together. I am well aware of the pecking order and not to interfere with it unless necesarry, however I am not sure if my younglings are eating and drinking water. I don't want anything to happen to them so I am asking if there is anything I can do to tell if they are eating and drinking? I gave the big girls some bugs and moved the waterer and food and observed them drinking very eagerly and eating too. Are they afraid to eat and drink because of the big chickens? Please help. Advice would be nice.
    Thanks.

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I noticed the same thing with my two sets of chicks...one is a couple weeks older...I just put another feeder and a few extra waterers out and that pretty much solved the problem [​IMG]

Good luck, hope this helps [​IMG]

3. Urbanhandyman

Urbanhandyman New Egg

Aug 3, 2011
    They are about 12 weeks old just in case it matters. And thank you I will try that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by