Juvenile cold tolerance

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bwfisch, Nov 8, 2014.

1. bwfisch

bwfisch New Egg

Nov 8, 2014
    I've got 6 swedish flower hens that are almost 3 months old. They sleep in a small insulated coop with deep bedding and no roosting bars. After an unusually mild fall, we have a brutal cold snap coming in this week with single digit lows.... I have 2 questions relating to this- 1 am I overdue in adding roosts? They've seemed content sleeping in the bedding so far. 2. Will the cold snap be too much for them? I'm a first time chicken owner and would appreciate any input I could get! Thanks!

2. christine9

christine9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    South Carolina
    Most likely they will be fine. Generally, as long as they are fully feathered, they will tolerate the cold. How cold are you expecting it to be. Oh and It's never too late to add roosts.

3. bwfisch

bwfisch New Egg

Nov 8, 2014
    Sounds great! The temp is supposed to hit single digits one night and be in the teens the for several more. The highs are warmer, so I'm not especially worried about the daytime even though they'll be outside.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  4. christine9

christine9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    South Carolina
    Just watch out for frostbite. I don't have first hand experience with it, but single combed birds are the most susceptible. A little vasaline on the comb can prevent frostbite. Good ventilation can also prevent frostbite.

5. bwfisch

bwfisch New Egg

Nov 8, 2014
    Will do! Thanks for your advice!

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Make so they have a dry location to stand on that is also protected from the wind. Stray makes for a good place to stand. Sun on that location around mid-day also good.

7. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I agree even in a small coop, be sure your birds can get out of the wind and stay dry, straw is good bedding.
    Scott

8. bwfisch

bwfisch New Egg

Nov 8, 2014
    Sounds great, everyone! Thanks for all the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by