Juvenile Columbian Wyandotte, can't raise head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lockedhearts, Jun 25, 2010.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    She was fine yesterday, this morning she is like this. My Columbian Wyandottes are very curious and at first I thought she was watching bugs on the ground, quickly realized that she had a problem. I brought her in a syringed some water down her holding her head up. I am boiling a couple of eggs now to make a mash, she does not have any food in her crop.
    She walks just fine.
    All other juvies in the pen are fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

You were able to lift her head, but were you able to lift her neck up or does it seem "locked" in that position?

BTW - I noticed your tagline says "flock dispersal." Is it wise to sell off any of your birds until you figure out what's going on with this one? If it's something serious (like Mareks) you could be selling trouble to somebody else. Personally, I'd quarantine this bird and put my whole flock into lock-down until this is resolved.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  3. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:Please don't tell me how to manage my flock! I practice Bio-security! I just found this bird this morning, have had no other problems in my flock and the first thing I did was bring this pullet in the house. I have not even thought about my sig line saying Flock Dispersal. I would never sell any birds that I felt were sick or at risk of getting sick so please don't go there.

Yes Her head and neck lift just fine, she just seems to have no control without help.

4. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Yikes.

5. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Looks like vitamin deficiency issues - folacin according to this source

http://books.google.com/books?id=sy...n deficiency and neck down in chicken&f=false

To the above poster, Karen loves her birds and has a beautiful flock. I've known her for years and we met through BYC! She is one of the most honest and forthright and candid persons I have ever met. She really cares for her flocks the way we do with ours...I know she would never sell a bird or anything from her farm with any problems.

By the way, We've recently tested some of our feed to assure that the levels are at the "correct" posted level. And they were not! mmmmm. Did you know that major packing firms have to do tests only once a year. Since the nutrient value in the source product can widely vary, it's surprising the tests for animal food are only done once a year. Also the water can leach vitamins out of the food, so whether on city or well water, that needs to be monitored as well....Funny, with 400 poultry, we monitor their feed more than they do!

So Karen, try vitamins asap..... Call me as you need!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  6. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:Nancy, one of the first things i did was grab the e w/ selenium, also gave the poly vi sol and added electrolytes to her water. Just checked and she is upright eating and drinking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by