juvenile molt

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kacey's Krazee's, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Kacey's Krazee's

Kacey's Krazee's Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Normangee, Texas
    Could any one please advise when the juvenile molt begins? I have 8 wk old pullets, and treat them daily with vegetables. I have them on the medicated Purina Start and Grow feed. In the last couple of days I have noticed a number of feathers on the ground in the coop and run. I am concerned that this could be an indication that they are lacking protein due to the treats they are recieving. I just think it's strange that they could be doing a molt, due to the fact they are just growing out their adult feathers from the fluff.

I sure would hate to be harming them while trying to make them tame!
    [​IMG]

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are they?

There's no sure way to set a time frame, it depends on too many variables including the bird's breed, the birds parentage, the climate, their diet, their living conditions... gee probably more.

Unless you're giving them buckets of treats, they're probably still eating enough of their regular feed. If you have doubts, get them some flock raiser with a higher protein content and give them that mixed in with their regular ration, or as treats. Thats probably good for them if they're molting anyway.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  3. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Chickens go through like 2 or 3 molts before adulthood--just read this but can't remember the details! Anyways, they are a feather-fest through the first few months. I wouldn't worry too much unless they are pecking each other, or EATING feathers. You can also give them high-protein treats such as low-salt tuna, high-quality cat food (small amounts), grated cheese (small amounts), mealworms, sunflower seeds, etc....

4. Kacey's Krazee's

Aug 8, 2009
    Normangee, Texas
    Would 8 wks be in the normal range of the juvenile molt?
    I have stopped feeding them treats today, to ensure they eat enough of their feed.
    This last week was pretty heavy in the treat dept. I bought a pumpkin, and gave them a large section of it. There are 24 birds currently in the flock. They also had a med size summer squash on 2 days. Another day they had the left overs from salad. I also had a small amount of spaghetti noodles, and used that for training.
    Would their feathers start dropping that fast if it is a protein deficiency?

Thanks for your input

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh yeah, if they're that young, you really shouldn't worry! They'll shed feathers all the time but they're fine! yes, give them some treats and don't worry esp if they're still on starter feed. There's plenty of protein in that and they are eating machines at that age!

Here's the link to the treat chart which is pretty complete. https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

6. Kacey's Krazee's

Aug 8, 2009
    Normangee, Texas
    Thanks Portagegirl. That is what I was looking for. I have tried not to overload
    them with goodies, but it's so hard to resist when they look so cute.

crunchybabychicken likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by