1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Juvie Silkie can't stand, please help! She passed away

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by secuono, Nov 22, 2010.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    My Silkie, Foxie, has started acting funny, what most people seem to have and I don't remember an actual diagnosis for it. She was fine 2 weeks ago. Last week, I noticed her left wing was lower and a few feathers chewed off, there was poo on her, maybe trying to clean it off, the feathers came off. No attack on her from an outside source, no holes and normal poo, clear nose and eyes. Now she has been sitting and easily falling over and not bothering to get back up. Last time she did that, she went outside, fell near the fence and I found her on her side, looking dead. I picked her up and righted her, she hobbled over to another Silkie and then sat there. She didn't look well, so yesterday, I brought her indoors. Overnight, she spilled the chick waterer and was covered in wet food, drenched. I dried her as much as I could with towels before I had to leave for work. She was wet again when I came home. Moved her into the bathroom with bath towels on the floor and her food and water. She eats the scratch, but crumbles are not high on her list. What's wrong with her and how do I make her better??

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am sorry no one has given you any answers, hopefully soon someone will come along who has delt with this.

3. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I think everyone has taken the day off and sleeping, lol.

4. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    The chick is now fine, Foxie is also on her feet, wobbly, but up and moving.

5. Jane Jill Jack

Jane Jill Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Your little chick is lucky. I'm glad it got well, and don't put it outside with the others until it has all his strength back. Whenever my chickens got sick and returned back to the pen, the others pecked on them until they got used to.

6. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Foxie is still off. Not on her feet and made a mess last night with the water. She does not eat her regular crumbles, she, like all the chickens, pick out their fav bits of scratch. Started feeding syringe smoothies with water in them. She doesn't seem to drink water on her own and keeps her beak slightly open. Gave her a banana smoothie, 3ml, and then she pecked at some scratch.

The little chicks are great. I had another Jap hatch and then the next day, a Brahma chick hatch. All 5 are together and get along perfect.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I wouldn't give them scratch just medicated chick feed of course they are going to pick out the scratch, but they need the other for health. Most on here would say feed scratch for treat to older chickens not chicks.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  8. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    No no. I am taking about the sick Silkie, not the baby chicks. The chicks are fine and no longer a concern. It's Foxie, who is sick and acting strange and prefers scratch. She will not eat the crumbles. I am giving her mushed banana, since she isn't really eating unless it's scratch.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How old is foxie? If I give my chickens scratch in with their feed they will eat al the scratch and leave the feed behind. I give scratch in the morning to warm them up and in the evening before coop time. Is she acting sick in other ways? post them all

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  10. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:I don't know, she hasn't grown much since I got her...a month+ ago[?].
    She was fine 2 weeks ago. Last week[now 2+ weeks ago], I noticed her left wing was lower and a few feathers chewed off, there was poo on her, maybe trying to clean it off, the feathers came off.
    No attack on her from an outside source, no holes and normal poo, clear nose and eyes.
    Now she has been sitting and easily falling over and not bothering to get back up. Last time she did that, she went outside, fell near the fence and I found her on her side, looking dead. I picked her up and righted her, she hobbled over to another Silkie and then sat there. She didn't look well, so I brought her indoors.
    Overnight, she spilled the chick waterer and was covered in wet food, drenched. I dried her as much as I could with towels before I had to leave for work. She was wet again when I came home. Moved her into the bathroom with bath towels on the floor and her food and water. She eats the scratch, but crumbles are not high on her list.

Update;
    Foxie was making a ruckus eating the banana bits I gave her. She was settled under the sink cabinet's kickboard when I came back from locking up the coop. I hope she will get better with a ton of TLC!
    ---------------------------
    She sits on her bum, legs kinda out in front of her. If she falls over, she can't easily right herself. Her beak was slightly open 3 days ago for 2 days. I noticed small, near black poo today. She doesn't like crumbles, even if I leave just that, she won't eat it. I gave her some cooked eggs, she ate some of it. I have given her mushed banana 4x so far since yesterday via syringe. I don't think she drinks on her own.

She is 2x the size of my 7-8week silkie, half the size of Queenie, I'm guessing Q is full sized.

That is all the info I have.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by