K-Mart advertises eggs for .99 per dozen (Limit 2)

Blue Ridge Hillbilly

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 4, 2009
Western NC
Makes you wonder how anyone can sell eggs for .99 per dozen and come close to breaking even. I don't know what kind of eggs they are but there is no way that I would sell eggs for that kind of money. That was in their newspaper insert this past Sunday, Jan 15th.

Just imagine how gross, flavorless, pale, and watery they are.
sickbyc.gif

Yeah I had to go and buy Cub's doz eggs for 99 cents. Bought three of them and going to boil a doz of those flavorless eggs. It might taste even better if it is pickled LOL!

Hurry up my dear girls! I am HUNGRY for fresh eggs!

However, a look at egg prices on the commodities market reveals another possible explanation:

Note that these are WHOLESALE prices. Here's yesterdays market quote for eggs: (The first number is yesterdays price, the second is the price a year ago today)

Eggs, large white, Chicago dozen-U ... ... Closed 1.0750 0.9350

Source: http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3023-cashprices.html

OldGuy43's historical question of the day: What became more generally available that caused egg prices to start falling after about 1950?

I checked our local auction prices. Last week brown eggs went for .50 - 1.10 per dozen. I had to go back 3 weeks to find any white eggs and they went for .20 - .30 per dozen. So around here egg prices are down.

Back
Top Bottom