Kahki campbell information.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 92rslt1, Jul 26, 2013.

1. 92rslt1

92rslt1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2013
    Hi folks, I have 4 khaki campbells. I have 3 hens and a drake named donald. They are pets for my children, fertilizers for my garden and egg layers for the refrigerator.

My question is about the eggs. How long can the eggs sit out before its too late to harvest them. They just started laying the other day and i dont want to get sick if the eggs have been out on the elements for too long. The hens seem to be dropping one to two a day now. The problem is they drop them in the kiddie pool I have set up for them, so I have to dump it then collect them, there is no telling how long they have been in there. Last night I cleaned it and this morning there were eggs in it again. Is it ok to toss them in the fridge since its only been one night, or do I have to get them sooner, as they drop them. Its obvious the girls have no interest in sitting on them, which is ok. 4 ducks is enough for me.

Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    you want to collect eggs daily and bring them in the house. Summer with higher temps try and collect a couple times a day. Laying in the pool is an issue with young ducks (females are ducks, males are drakes). You can try adding more straw to their house, a fake egg and leaving them locked in their house longer in the morning to encourage laying in the house. A milk crate with one side cut away (ease of getting in and out) placed in their yard as an extra laying spot could be useful too.

3. 92rslt1

92rslt1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2013
    Thanks for the reply. I will try to get them each morning and night. My only problem with them dropping eggs in the water is that I have to change it so often. If I change it enough to keep it clean the ground won't absorb it all and it goes stagnant. I try to change it in the morning, but by noon I can't see in it anymore. My ducks don't get locked in the house at night. Should I try to make them stay in their house at night? Usually they snooze in the water. Every time I sneak out to see them at night they are sleeping in the water.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by