Kakhi Campbell New Owner

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chicken03, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    I bought 2 Kakhi Campbell ducks last night. Today I took them out to the coop and introduced them to the chickens. So far everything seems to be going fine. Is it alright to keep the ducks with the chickens? And is it ok for them to eat layer pellets? Thanks for any replys.

2. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I have khakis and although they have their own place to sleep at night they are with the chickens throughout the day and have done fine. I have even found confused ducks sleeping on the chicken coop floor. Yours shoudl be fine, just keep an eye on them.

As for food mine get the same as the chickens, layer pellets and cracked corn and they occasionally eat the scratch that I throw down for the chickens. They have done just fine on it. Good luck with the khakis! although they are not very friendly (at least mine arnt) they are great egg producers and funny to watch!

3. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    My khakis (and other ducks) get along with my chickens just fine. The ducks chose to move in with the chickens rather than stay in their own coops. I do have to clean more frequently because the ducks are so messy with the water though.

4. Chicken03

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    Thanks for the replys. I have already found that the ducks are messy. They are all still getting along fine. [​IMG]

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    How old are the ducks? they need to be laying age to eat layer food...they also need more niacin so give them greens daily...lettuce or frozen peas thawed is good.

6. Chicken03

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    I am not totally sure about the age. They appear to be full grown or very close. I've been giving them some lettuce also.

7. maranfarmer563

maranfarmer563 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2014
    northern Pennsylvania
    New owner here too. Can one drake mate 10 hens. Want fertile eggs for Easter

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by