Kale, spinach and other greens for chicks?

GreenLove

Chirping
Mar 3, 2015
Couldn't find any info on here about cutting up greens for 3 1/2 week old chicks. I buy greens (kale, spinach and green leaf lettuce) every week and was wondering if I could cut some up in small pieces for the chicks? They have baby chick grit available to them. Also, can they have HULLED black oil sunflower seeds at this age?

I've been giving my 3 week old chicks finely chopped greens, peas, & corn for several days now. I've also given then dried kale from our garden & meal worms. Right now they r in the run for the first time eating who knows what from the ground. Running & flying all over. They also caught a moth & ate it!

Lol! I bet they loved that moth! Corn and peas are an interesting choice for this age, I hadn't thought about those. I offered meal worms yesterday and at first they were unsure. Then out of the blue, my barred rock baby ran over and took it out of my hand like she knew exactly what it was lol! After that they were all scrambling to eat every last one
big_smile.png
. I have four colonies with thousands of meal worms so there's always more than enough to go around! I also tried a few hulled sunflower seeds. They eventually ate them but were not nearly as excited as they were with the wiggly meal worms. I'm going to try the diced up greens today, hope they like them. Thanks for your input, it is appreciated
smile.png

I tried giving my almost 3 week old chicks some spinach on a small plate and they acted like it was the most suspicious thing in the world. Didn't touch it so far

Back
Top Bottom