Kalona, Iowa. Poultry, small animal & consignment auction.

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by wren, Jan 27, 2009.

1. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    It's a true auction! Sit inside the pavilion for free, get a number and bid. Poultry, Small & caged animals, produce, plants, Hay, machinery and any consignment items-starts at 10am.

Sometimes the Amish bring baked goods. Breakfast and lunch served in a little diner. Complete lunch for $5. Throw in a piece of pie and ice cream and you really have something. But it costs more. No I don't work there and I'm not married into the business. It's just nice to get a good price for my well taken care of birds. I get $24 normally for a trio of bantams. Junk birds sell okay too, just at a lower price per head. Wow was this ever needed in this area. Some good stuff is coming through here. This is just getting started everyone and everything (well almost) welcome. They need hay/straw to sell in smaller lots.

Poultry sells in one auction ring while regular goats, sheep and hogs sell in another ring which starts at 9am.

Kalona Sales Barn 319-656-2222

Poultry testing available on-site for twenty-five cents per head.

121 9th Street
    Kalona, Iowa

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  2. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    What day is this wren?

3. KareyABohr

KareyABohr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    SE Iowa
    It is always on Wednesday...but I went a couple of weeks ago and all that they had was a pen of piegons.

Oh well, my son had fun watching the lambs and goats get sold. But I sure hope it gets better because it could be a real asset to the area!

Maybe I will take in my extra Roo and two hens. Sell them as a trio.

4. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    When are any of you going next? PM me! [​IMG]

5. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I haven't been in over a month. It got cold and less people started showing up. I bet it picks up big time when it gets warm again. I will be going more as it warms up to sale a few birds. My sheep will sale there also but not in the normal sale I am saving them for the special exotic sale this spring.

6. FlashPointFarm

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    What are you selling for birds? And what kind of sheep do you have?

7. farmgirlie1031

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I have all sorts of chickens, some ducks, guineas, a pair of geese. Not sure exactly what I will sale just know I need to thin the flock some as I am going through a bag of feed a day. Ouch! I'll be glad when they can forage again and don't eat so much feed.

Our sheep are Jacob crosses. We got them at the fall Exotic Sale in Kalona.

8. FlashPointFarm

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    [​IMG]
    A bag of feed per day?!! Wowsa! A 50 # bag?
    [​IMG]

9. farmgirlie1031

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Now that today was in the 40s they didn't eat as much. My ducks are big pigs when it's in the 10's. They need a lot of cracked corn to keep them warm. I'm so glad it's going to be warm all this week. Less feed used and no frozen water pipes at the barn [​IMG] I also probably overfed but I wanted to make sure they stayed warm esp. the day it was -20. I felt so sorry for them even though they were in the barn with lots of hay to sleep in.

I just put some eggs in the 'bator today to hopefully have some ducklings and chicks to sale next month at auction or at Burlington's 1st swap of the year.

[​IMG]
    Here is a purchase from Kalona. Not like I really needed a rooster.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  10. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Hey everybody! Please don't go to this auction unless the weather is nice. Like at least 40 degrees outside with the sun shining. It is the wrong time of year for auctions right now. Give it a month at least and wait for a good day. Sorry for not saying that sooner.

This auction is new so it will take awhile to get started. I remember when I was a teen they auctioned off an arena chock full of birds, but the auction was only once a month and only during the summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by