Kangal/Anatolian Pup: Training to not murder ducks while I'm standing there.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DanielleInUro, May 26, 2019.

1. DanielleInUro

DanielleInUro Songster

Apr 16, 2017
    Dallas, Tx
    We have eight ducks in a fairly large suburban yard who are beloved pets. One gets sick, they go to the vet. One dies, there's full funeral ceremony. If I woke up tomorrow and they were all identical-looking, I could tell you who's who in about five seconds on behavior alone. They're the light of my life.

We just lost my husband's dog (cancer.) She killed a duck and three quail in the first year, before we put a stop to it with fencing and strict separation. My husband always loved his dog more than the ducks (he feels about dogs the way I feel about ducks), and dearly wished to be able to go hang out with the ducks, with the dog, and it was never, ever going to happen.

We put a deposit down yesterday on a one-day-old Kangal/Anatolian pup. It was the best compromise that the two of us could come with and was the end result of a LOT of tense discussions and pleading.

We don't need a LGD--the only predator losses we've ever taken were from his dog. And no dog will ever, ever be left along with our ducks for even a second, it's just not going to happen. And we're all on the same page that a dog of this size may not be an easy fit for our 3 bed, 2 bath and regular suburban backyard alone, and that lots of dog-walking on leash is in our future. I have zero expectations of the dog "bonding with the flock" in our backyard and being trustworthy. My intention is to raise and train up a pet dog who will NOT chase after the ducks and shake them to death while we're standing right there screaming "NO BAD DOG LEAVE IT." I have zero chance of "rehoming" the dog once the husband is bonded to it, and any duck losses would be a seriously disastrous family event.

So...these are my parameters. They're not great, and they're not what I would have chosen alone, but there they are. When I met him and his dog five years ago, I loathed her; completely untrained besides housebreaking, no way to stop her from ANYTHING, and lots of "forget you, you're not my papa and he doesn't tell me what to do, I can do whatever I want." Two years of that, and it was "If you won't train your dog, I will. Stay out of my way and don't undermine me or there will be hell to pay." And for the last three years, we had a well-behaved, polite dog who could be stopped and minded us when we asked her to do something or not. So I'm reasonably confident in our dog-training abilities at this point, and confident in his understand that trained dog = good and how to work with one to maintain training, even if he won't do much by way of the training work.

Can somebody tell me I'm not crazy and a pet LGD that isn't expected to guard but IS expected to not harass or kill the ducks while we're right there isn't an impossible or unreasonable goal? We'll be introducing the dog to the ducks at a time while the dog is roughly the same size as them, on-leash, and constantly supervised. I'm willing to spend a ton of time and energy here for the payoff of a dog I don't hate and a husband I don't resent. Any advice besides "maybe you need a different husband" or "don't get that dog" would also be really appreciated.

2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Personally I wouldn't get that breed for a small yard set up.
    All Dogs can be trained to not touch Birds. I have 5 Dogs and one is a puppy that doesn't touch the birds ever. Consistency is key in training.

3. BirdsBeesTrees

BirdsBeesTrees Crowing

Mar 10, 2019
    Iowa
    A LGD will need a lot of exercise. We just got a LGD and she's 4 months old. A couple times a day; in the morning before ducks are out and in the evening after ducks are in. Right now she thinks everything is a toy. We always have dogs. Now we have 5! We have 2 elderly dogs and they are pretty unreliable from keeping predators at bay. We had to put a shock collar on our Great Dane when he was a year old because he wanted to kill everything he killed 3 ducks a goose and pretty sure a cat. We mostly just used the buzzer without shock for 6 months unless he had something in his mouth to kill. Now our Great Dane doesn't mess with any birds or cats but will chase off pretty much anything during the day.

4. DanielleInUro

DanielleInUro Songster

Apr 16, 2017
    Dallas, Tx
    Thanks, both of you. I'm prepared for the exercise part, I think; I run three miles a day six days a week, and I'm prepared to train him to run with me on leash so he'll never want for exercise, even if he can't or shouldn't do the full distance.

BirdsBeesTrees likes this.
  5. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Crowing

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    Honeybear out big beautiful plus sized Anatolian Shepherd and her ducks
    fullsizeoutput_328f.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_3289.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_32d9.jpeg

6. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Most LGD are independent thinkers and not really pets. My Maremma basically does as he pleases at his size he can't be moved if not willing to do it. He is aloof with strangers and excellent watch dog. He lays next to my Coop during free range time of my Chickens and Ducks. He couldn't be leash trained either because he absolutely hated it. Definitely not Dog friendly with with strange dogs.

DanielleInUro and BirdsBeesTrees like this.
  7. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    I think your expectations are reasonable and attainable. You've already proven you can do it, starting with a previously untrained adult dog, so starting with a puppy should be a cakewalk by comparison. Good luck!

8. I will share one thing. I won't go into details or this or that but my husband undermined everything i did and set up with my doberman puppy. She is about a year and a half and useless for any kind of real work. I told him if she's not under better control when she's two I'm rehoming her. You don't want to get into a situation like ours.

9. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    Oh, ps, let me recommend an excellent book for you. Pet Dog by Richard A. Wolters, and/or The Art of Raising A Puppy, by the Monks of New Skete. No point reinventing the wheel!

10. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    Sigh. Husbands are much harder to train than dogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: