September 7th
October 5th

At the Kankakee Co. fairgrounds
doors open at 5 a.m. cst.

sellers $10.00 single vehicle
$20.00 truck & tailer

buyers/lookers $2.00 per adult
Kids are free

Alot to looks at, best to get there as early as possible, stuff sells fast.

Everything there from slimy, scaley, feathered and fured...

Smith poultry is set up inside to take care of all your poultry supply needs too.

Hope to see lots of byc'ers there again this year.

Christie
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Mothergoose,
This will be my first trip to any kind of swap.. tell me what to expect?
What should I bring with me?
I am just starting in chickens and have just ordered my chicks.. but should I bring my own boxes? or should it be more like kennels or even as large as rabbit cages?

Should I just not bring anything , that way limiting myself .. haha or do I need the car or truck? with or without trailer?
Is this first swap of the year the best or will I have plenty of chances over the summer?
Well at least 4 more.

I guess my qusetion is... tell us newbys what a swap is like?

OH... my DH wants to know if I will be coming home with a goat or rabbit?
wink.png

Fran

Fran,
I love the swap. There is so much to see. There is everything from poultry, waterfowl, rabbits, goats, horses, llamas, sheep, calves, donkeys, exotics, guinea pigs, hamsters, reptiles, giant bugs, house birds, cats, dogs...the list is endless.
There are people there that sell cages, plants, fruit, feed etc...

Smith Poultry is set up inside selling all your poultry supply needs.

There are indoor restrooms and a lunch counter.

It is a good idea to bring your own cages or carriers for your purchases. Though there are cages for sale there and they have boxes inside that you can get too.

Getting there early is the key. The diehards are shopping before the sun is up...bring a flashlight!

Cash is best. Some vendors will take checks. Smith poultry will take a check.

You definetly could go home with a goat or anything else if you want too. Depending on what you want to go home with...you may want to bring the truck & trailer!!!

If you are looking for babies (chicks, turkey poults, guinea keets, ducklings etc...) There will be more babies at the May and June swaps. If you are looking more for mature stock any of the swaps will be good.

I look forward to the swap all winter...I think you will enjoy it.

Christie
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

It will be a 5 hour drive one way for me but we are going to the June 1st swap. We are going to drive over with the kids on Saturday and stay over night and get up super early and get there when the sales are the best!!! I am SOOOO EXCITED!! I cant wait. I am going to try and figure out something to show that I am a BYCer, Icant wait to meet so many of you! Jenn

Quote:
That's a great idea! I think that's what I'd have to do also if I went, b/c it's an almost 4 hr drive for me. I'll let everyone know if I can make any of them. The Waterloo SWAP is real close to me, so I'll definitely check it out for all of us.

Christie, what will you be selling? Any Welsummer chicks???? Entice me!!!!!
big_smile.png

Thanks so much for the information. We are so looking forward to this..
we are only just short of an hour south of the swap so will probably rise @3am
th.gif
and head up... lol.. family has to learn what "farm" chores are like!

So very excited.. look forward to meet you also Christie.. you seem to be the wise owl around town
smile.png

20 more days till my chicks come home!
jumpy.gif
How many more times can I rearrange the brooder?

Fran

Back
Top Bottom