Kansas Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dragracer, Aug 6, 2008.

1. dragracer

dragracer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2008
    Kansas
    Does anybody know where to find chickens/laying hens in Kansas?

And if there is anybody from Kansas who could help answer a few questions on their coop designs that would be wonderful!

Nicole

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

There are some local auctions around. There's one in Yoder the last friday of every month.

3. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    oh i am from kansas! i know lots of people with chickens! "well like 1 or 2" and about the coop desine thing... whats your question?

4. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Well here you might find some in the buy sell trade section on this forum,Freecycle Craigs list,small animal auctions (usally held at live stock aution houses) and Bulliten boards at your local feed or farm store.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  5. fowlafoot

fowlafoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Midwest
    I'm from KS too [​IMG] Feed stores are good, craigslist works if you are close enough to a city and the buy sell trade on here can be ok depending on if anyone lives by you

6. dragracer

dragracer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2008
    Kansas
    Katy answered a bunch of questions last night (stupid ones)! I was wondering how draft free the coop has to be in the winter. I've had several different people all tell different things. I was starting to get confused!

I also wondered if anybody has had issues with chickens flying over the fence. We have an inground pool and a neighbor with a big garden!

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:They were not stupid questions! [​IMG]

8. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    We had to clip wings. It wasn't a big deal. We have 6 from Orscheln's and 4 from a breeder. My pet chicken should ship their 3 minimum to Wichita or KC I would think. Haven't been through winter with them yet. Sorry.

There's a poster in swaps about a sale in Yates Center every so many months. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=45932

If it makes you feel any better, the whole insulation/ventilation thing has stymied me too. We have a bit of all weather extremes ever changing. You know what they say about KS. If you don't like the weather, just wait a bit.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by