1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Kansas City Area Residents - Activities for Kids

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by Lophura, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    We are holding classes hosted by the Lee's Summit Parks and Recreation department for kids. Yes, we do include chickens in week three and believe or not, one of our cochin hens is one of the most requested animals we have!!! I also bring in a Red Junglefowl to discuss domestication, we do experiments with duck feathers and how pollution effects them. and so much more. There is a fee involved, contact the the LSMO P & R at 816-969-1500

The schedule for the March sessions:

Section # 04: Animal Wonders Ages 2-6
    Schedule: 3/4/2010-3/25/2010, Thursday 10:00am-10:45am
    Location: Market Street Community Center, 307 SW Market, Lee's Summit, MO

Section # 05: Animal Wonders Ages 6-12
    Schedule: 3/4/2010-3/25/2010, Thursday 5:30pm-6:30pm
    Location: Market Street Community Center, 307 SW Market, Lee's Summit, MO

More classes are to be added in Lee's Summit in April and May, but the schedule has yet to be placed yet. Summer Camps from June through August.

To learn more about us, visit http://www.animalwonders.net and be sure to fan us on Facebook to see pics of past events.

We are trying to encourage local 4-H and FFA groups to "adopt" chicks that are hatched by students as well. If you are a 4-H leader or FFA advisor, contact me at [email protected] and we can discuss the process. There will no fee for the adoptions, but the students will have to abide by some guidelines. I am wanting to get more youth involved with poultry and even have special "chicken" classes that we hold.

Parents are always welcome and enocuraged to attend the events.

Dan Cowell

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by