Kansas Coyotes

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChickiKat, Nov 3, 2011.

1. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Reports of coyotes in Leavenworth prompts study
    Posted: Nov 03, 2011 9:18 AM CDT Updated: Nov 03, 2011 9:18 AM CDT

LEAVENWORTH, Kan. (AP) - Reports of coyotes inside Leavenworth city limits are prompting the city commission to discuss ways to control the population.

City Manager Scott Miller told the commission during a meeting Tuesday that the city has been receiving reports of coyotes in residents' yards in Leavenworth and in neighboring Atchison County.

He says the state allows municipalities to make their own regulations for coyotes.

Miller says coyotes could be added to a city ordinance that allows bow hunters to take deer on city property and private property with the owner's permission.

The Leavenworth Times reports (http://bit.ly/tTYwOf) that the commission agreed to consider the issue for a final vote at a later meeting.

Information from: Leavenworth Times, http://www.leavenworthtimes.com

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    There are coyotes in New York City and LA--why should Leavenworth be immune? In fact, most large cities have active, breeding populations of these canines or will have shortly. They are opportunist that will go where the food is.

3. DustinT

DustinT Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    Leavenworth, KS
    I don't know why it's a big surprise that we have coyotes. It's not a very big town. I see coyotes, foxes, raccoons, opposumes, deer, bats, huge owls, falcons, buzzards and even a pair of bald eagles all the time and I live right in the middle of Leavenworth.

4. Aschenfire

Aschenfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    I just don't get the fear of coyotes people seem to have. Maybe it's city folk. I don't know. Coyotes are 35-45 pounds, not huge animals, and they are going to go where there are easy meals, as humans range further and further into the places they used to live. Take away all the wild places, expect to see wildlife in cities. Where are they going to go, other than extinct? This, sadly, is the path they are walking anyway... it's just a matter of time.

I'd be scared if they were velociraptors or something... not so much coyotes :D

5. DustinT

DustinT Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    Leavenworth, KS
    [​IMG] I agree 100%

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by