Kathy

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 2016chickens, Feb 13, 2017.

1. 2016chickens

2016chickens New Egg

Jan 26, 2017
    Can I get one of my hens start to brood or do I wait for nature to take its course?

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy Kathy

Broodiness is hormone based so, technically, you can not make a hen go broody. Some breeds never go broody and others are renown for their broodiness.

Some people say that leaving eggs in the nest might encourage them to brood but you would still need to have a hen prone to going broody.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    What breeds of chickens do you have?

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Some breeds of chicken and very likely to go "broody,". silkies, Buff Orpingtons , Cochins - they also tend to be very docile breeds. It doesn't mean every female will go broody but they have a high incidence.

You cannot make a hen go broody on command but, when they do start - take advantage.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    PS you also need a rooster or their eggs will not be fertile.

6. 2016chickens

2016chickens New Egg

Jan 26, 2017
    Rhode Island Red Bantam, Buff Orphington, Silkie, 2 Easter Eggs, Plymouth & (this will be spelled wrong) Antrocandia.

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    If you want to tempt them, get some plastic Easter eggs (color unimportant) and put them in a cluster in the nest you'd like a brooding hen to use. I put rocks inside for weight and taped them shut when I made my dummy eggs. If one takes the bait and sits all day and night, swap the fakes for hatching eggs. Be sure to mark your hatching eggs as chickens may lay in the broody hen's nest while she's eating/drinking.

Also, the PP who said that it's hormonal and not all will go broody is absolutely correct. I have a hen that will sit all night on any egg left at dusk and she's a Marans from a breeder. You'd think she'd go broody but she never has. She does a fine job keeping any winter afternoon eggs from freezing for me, though! I also have one that will gather eggs from the different boxes and put them together into one nest. You'd think she'd sit on them after all that trouble but nope! She's an EE, never has been broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by