Katie's hips and elbows.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Redyre Rotties, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    I took Katie in this morning for her OFA preliminary hip and elbow films. The vet I went to breeds and shows Rottweilers.

She was sedated with Propofol, and films were done uneventfully. They look gorgeous. Very deep seated congruent hips, and beautiful clean elbows. The vet said she felt she would get good or excellent on the hips and normal on the elbows. [​IMG] In a couple of weeks I plan to have her eyes CERF and an exam by a Board Certified Cardiologist. She has already had eyes and heart done once, so I don't anticipate any fly in the ointment there.

So, it is onward and upward with her show career and breeding plans. Of course we will go for final films at 24 months.

I plan to show her hard this coming year, and breed her for 2 litters starting on the first season after she is 24 months and I have health testing in hand.

[​IMG]

I do not plan to post the exray films out in public for personal reasons, but if anyone would like to see them, feel free to email me (you can do that from my website at redyre.com) and I'll be happy to share them with you.

2. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Keeping my fingers crossed that OFA sees it the same way! I know those elbows can be a problem in rotties, so congrats!

3. Redyre Rotties

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    They certainly can. It is a huge issue in the breed. Her mother has 1 elbow Gr. 1. For the forseeable future we will probably be using good dogs who have gr 1 elbows who are sound. Her mother has an outstanding production record in elbows so far, with 5 normals in her first litter.

So, we shall see. One vet told me to flip a coin, that he thought OFA decided which elbows were normal and which were not by the day of the week or which way the wind was blowing. Seriously, they actually do have set criteria that they go by. These look REALLY good. [​IMG]

4. watchdogps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I have a friend who breeds rotties, and she was telling me about that. She kept finding dogs that she really liked as studs but the elbow history was not clean enough for her. Her girls mom had one grade 1, so she wanted it very clean on the stud side. Finally found a really nice one, but she almost gave up!

5. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Have you considered PennHip?
    I am deciding which to do, bit I've got a while ti decide. PennHip requires sedation, but there is an actual grading system, unlike OFA

6. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    That's great news!

7. Redyre Rotties

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    First a little background: I have been doing this for a while. Sent my first films to OFA in 1992. Several things are not attractive to me with regard to Penn Hip:

1) the size of the data base as compared to OFA (very small compared to OFA)

2) most important, the searchability of the data base. Penn Hip, ZERO. OFA is a HUGE TOOL for most breeders, as they not only keep hip information, but information on almost all of the genetic or physical testing that is done on dogs. Their data base makes it very easy to search siblings, progeny, parents, and vertical pedigrees not only for hips, but for elbows, eyes, heart, thyroid, patella, just about you name it.

3)last, and least, my National Breed Club requires OFA. They may now accept Penn Hip, I would have to check, but from 1970 when OFA FIRST BEGAN, they have required OFA hip testing before breeding.

I would hope that sometime in the next decade we will have a genetic test for many more canine issues that will help us as breeders to breed larger percentages of healthy dogs. For now, I'll stick with OFA for my hip and elbow testing. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  8. watchdogps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Same here, same reasons.

9. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

[​IMG] Good to hear that Katie looks as good on the inside as she does on the outside!

10. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    That's great news!

The OFA web site is a fantastic tool. I was recently offered a pup from a litter of Anatolians and the breeder did not have pedigrees available on the litter at that moment. She could get them....but it might take a bit of time. I did have the grandparent's names though, so finding them on the OFA web site was a breeze! I was able to contstruct a full pedigree in just a few minutes, with a complete OFA record to boot. It's a great resource!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by