Katy- Guess what I bought at the chicken auction

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tazcat70, Jan 30, 2009.

1. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

that I will be putting under a broody bantam?

30 quail eggs for $1.00. I couldn't resist, but I have to get her set up in a pen for just her, and I am gonna build a foam type nest for her. We will see what happens. I don't really want to start up the bator, and I can't just eat them. [​IMG] And NO ONE wanted to buy them....I couldn't leave them there. [​IMG]

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Your going to build a foam nest. Wouldnt the chicken eat it? Mine ate spray foam insulation i used in thier coop. [​IMG]

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

LOL.....next time I'll stay till the end to keep you out of trouble!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

What kind of quail are they?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  4. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Wow! 30 eggs is a lot!

I agree with brooster, my chooks are in the process of eating this foam/polystyrene box we kept the ducklings in when they were little- they are well over half way through it and it's a big box. It doesn't hurt mine though. If you want to build a nest use leaves- my chooks' nests in the garden they made themselves and they're made out of leaves.

5. tazcat70

Well after I made the changes to the nest, the broody stopped. So I guess I will HAVE to put them in the bator. [​IMG]

The eggs came with a note on the top. They are from a mixed pen of Coturnix. There are Pharaoh, Golden Speckle, White, Tuxedo, and Tibetan. Some are jumbo some are not. There are 4 teeny, tiny green eggs. The rest are marbled.

The note continues on with basic information, for cooking or hatching.

Katy it was really a fluke, I was thinking about getting them, and I changed my mind. I had walked away and then I heard the auctioneer hollering anyone have an incubator....I guess no one was buying them.....so lucky me I have them.

I have no idea what to do with them after they hatch.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

LOL....You'll get it figured out what to do with them.

7. tazcat70

FYI about the foam. It was covered so that it couldn't be eaten. But I needed something more cushion-y because the quail eggs are so tiny and I didn't want the bantam to break the eggs.

My nests have straw in them normally.

8. tazcat70

Quote:Yeah, give them to you!!!! [​IMG]

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Yikes....I don't think so! Although I have thought those little button quail are pretty darn cute!

10. tazcat70

I know, cute. [​IMG]

How bad is it that I am seriously thinking about just eating them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by