Katy's French Patties

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Apr 7, 2011.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I've been working on some new goat cheese appetizer recipes and really hit on a super healthy winner last night; I found a recipe online that I tweaked enough to call my own . . . It's absolutely amazing, thumbs up from the whole family. It was a bit of work, if you have a busy out of the house schedule, I would make the patties the day before and cook the day you serve. These were great hot, at room temp and even cold. Enjoy

Ingredients
    3/4 cup medium-grain brown rice
    1 1/2 cups water
    olive oil
    6 medium shallots, chopped
    2 medium carrots, shredded using the large holes of a box grater
    1/2 cup pine nuts
    6 ounces chevre
    1 large egg white
    1/2 teaspoon herbs de provence
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1.cook rice with water in a rice cooker until done. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
    2.Meanwhile, heat some olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots; cook, stirring often, until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add a little more oil & carrots, reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring often, until softened and the shallots are lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
    3.Preheat oven to 400°F.
    4.Transfer the cooked vegetables and rice & everything else, to a large food processor. Pulse until well blended but still coarse. With wet hands, form the mixture into 9 3-inch patties (about 1/2 cup each). I set a large mouth quart size jar lid upside down in my hand and put the pattie in it to form a perfect circle.
    5. Heat a bit more oil in the skillet over medium heat. Add the patties and cook until well browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake 10 to 15 minutes.

I served these with pear slices on a small bed of endive. Next time I'll make a yogurt drizzle, just for looks.

2. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Quote:Katy, these sound divine. Do you make your own goat cheese, too? I think my family will love them. I plan on making them as soon as I make some cheese. Will you post a picture of your next batch?

Do you spend time on BackYardHerds.com? They have a section for recipes for using goats milk products....I'll bet they'd love you to post this there!

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I don't make my own cheese yet, but I hope to one day. Our two goats are weathers, lol!
    I made my first batch of cows milk riccotta last week, very cool . . . but I obviously need to work on it still.
    Feel free to share my recipe anywhere you like! They were absolutely devine - even with store bought cheese, and sooo healthy for the rich satisfying taste. the kids were asking for them again last night, that's a winner in my book. I'm not very good at remembering to take food pics . . . [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by