Keanryesville WV, town says YES but HOA says NO?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by needmygiants, Jan 2, 2014.

1. needmygiants

needmygiants New Egg

Jan 1, 2014
    Wv/Md area
    I am only looking to have a few little backyard hens nothing major!
    All the town and country regulations says up to a certain number is fine (can't remember but it's something much larger then I even have in mind).
    Our HOA says no to any type of livestock/poultry or basically anything like that. I was thinking about just getting the girls anyway but I already have a pryx that barks to much and everybody hates so I don't know if adding hens might be the fuel somebody needs to come after us?
    Has anybody gotten around HOA rules or worked to change them? If I just get them anyway can they make me get rid of them? If I didn't have the dog I don't think anybody would even bother to say anything, but I can't get rid of the dog I've had for ten years. I've only been here a year (moved in after I got married) and we are looking for other houses but really don't want to wait as I didn't get my girls last spring because of it.
    I have never lived in a HOA and not really even sure how to get around the "laws" but would love any help!

2. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

I don't have to deal with a HOA where I live but HOA and local (city and county) laws are 2 different things. in my neighborhood my lot isn't in the covanented area but my neighbors are, but their HOA is non-existant but that doesn't mean the neighbors can take them to court and win for them to break the covanants and win. look to move to an area without a HOA or one that is permissive for farm animals before buying your birds.

3. flockanuts

flockanuts Chillin' With My Peeps

I used to be a homeowner's association manager in the Virginia Beach/Chesapeake, Virginia area. With my experience of 5 years dealing with all kinds of things, my advice is "DO NOT GET THE CHICKENS!!!" Find another place to live because they will make your life miserable and you will still have to get rid of the chickens. The statement to you will be: "You knew what you were signing before you moved into the association."

One association I was manager for had a lady that just had her roof done. It was like a grass green color and all the neighbors were complaining. She HAD to have her roof done all over again with an acceptable color of shingles AT HER OWN EXPENSE!!! She was not a very happy homeowner, to say the least.....

4. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

When you move into a neighborhood with a homeowners' association you are signing away some of your rights to protect the property values of all homes in the neighborhood, including your own. It is a trade-off. Give up some rights to protect property values.

You signed an HOA agreement when you moved into your neighborhood. You agreed not to have chickens.

Either don't have chickens or move somewhere that allows you to have chickens,.

Personally, I never want to live under an HOA.

5. needmygiants

needmygiants New Egg

Jan 1, 2014
    Wv/Md area
    Thanks, this is my first HOA experience, I did not pick it but sense he owned the house and I was renting it clearly made the most sense at the time. We are looking to move out of an HOA area so I guess for now that means hold tight because once I get them it's going to devastate me to have to get rid of then:(

6. flockanuts

flockanuts Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, btw, it was the HOA's Board of Directors who voted to make her change the roof. I was just the bearer of bad news by having to write the letter giving the Board's decision.

7. needmygiants

needmygiants New Egg

Jan 1, 2014
    Wv/Md area
    I get why they do it to keep property value up and make everything look nice, but I think its just so silly. I couldn't imagine paying all that to have the roof re-done and then be told to do it again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by