Keep and cook or Throw out?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Captain Cluck, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Captain Cluck

Captain Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Central Florida
    I can't find the answer to my question, so please forgive me if it has been answered before.

My husband had a friend process our roosters for us. When we got the carcasses, they were on ice, but several smelled smokey and the meat looked partially cooked - like they had been left a little too long in the hot water before plucking or set on or near a fire. When we processed, I just skinned the birds since I had no way of keeping water hot enough for plucking.

Are these OK to cook and eat, or do I have to throw them away? We processed some of our birds before this, but ran into problems processing in our back yard (mainly Daughter did not want grandkids 3 & 6yrs to see the killing and processing - they live with us and most likely would try to imitate the procedure, or they would have nightmares - or both).

I will lose 8 birds if I toss them, but my family's health is more important to me than the meat.

If not good for people, can I feed them to the dog?

I think I will do all my own processing from now on.

Thank you for your advice.

2. Firemenlovechicks

Firemenlovechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know, It's kind of hard to tell without seeing the meat.......

I have always lived by the rule: "when in doubt, THROW IT OUT!"

I hate to waste perfectly good meat, but I hate food poisoning even worse......

Good luck in your decision!

Jeff

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Could youask the guy why they smell smokey? some people wrap the birds in news paper & then burn the paper to get rid of the feathers . . . kind of an old timey thing. but if they arrived on ice and the meat looks ok, I would say you are fine to eat them, you don't eat chicken raw anyway. At least I would eat them if they looked ok.

4. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Quote:THIS! I couldn't enjoy eating it, if I even think it might be bad.

5. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    When I was growing up, we used to singe the feathers off by burning alcohol in a jar lid and holding the plucked chicken close to the flame. If the processor used a propane torch or a wood fire or something like that to singe those feathers off, that could account for the smoky smell and the cooked appearance of the meat. I'd ask him about it.

6. Captain Cluck

Captain Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Central Florida
    He used a boiling water bath to dip them in. The ones I am skeptical of the skin feels and the meat looks like they were defrosted in the microwave and started to cook a little bit or like they were tossed in a pot of boiling water for longer than a dunk and a swish. He boils his water in a kettle over a wood fire on his smoker. I am thinking the butchering got ahead of the plucking and cleaning. The degree of 'cooking' says they were iced as soon as cleaned. He split them up the backs with a saw (I hope it was a food saw) I cut off the spines when I process and feed them to the dog.

I had offered to come over and help clean them since I am not squeamish - just space challenged for slaughter. He refused saying he had plenty of family to help. I think his help meandered away at some point. He usually smokes his birds so that may be why they smelled smoky - heating the water on the smoker.

So, cook, toss, or feed the dog?

7. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    I would freeze em...but cook a small portion to test the flavor and smell. If in doubt then, give the dogs a treat.

8. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    Quote:I would tell the daughter to take the kids out for the day if she doesn't want them to see and process my own. My oldest helps, the youngest doesn't want to. I don't think they would try to imitate it but if they aren't ready they might have nightmares or more likely not want to eat it.

9. Raiquee

Raiquee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Big Bend, WI
    Quote:No offense but I don't think you are going to get a straight answer. Mainly because no one here wants to tell you "it sounds fine!" and see you and your family get sick over it. You are going to be the best judge. You decide.

Overall it doesn't sound like he did anything to make the meat inedible, but that decision is up to you.

If you decide not to eat it, I would at least cook it for the dog.

10. zowieyellowflame

zowieyellowflame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    I would roast one, then judge. See how it looks. Partially cooking it by it being in the hot water too long isnt really a dangerous thing I don't think.... not like cooling too slowly or contaminating with fecal matter.
    Hmm. this is a tricky one. what about pictures?
    I mentioned the matter to my husband, he thinks it just kind of sounds a bit less appetizing. But doubts there is risk of food borne illness. I agree.
    Does the cooked looking area go below the skin?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by