keep ducklings dry ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickaboo7, Apr 15, 2008.

1. chickaboo7

chickaboo7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Manahawkin NJ
    I have my little ones in a Rubbermaid cont. They have a heat lamp, and they are on a pellet bedding. What do you do to keep the bedding dry. I know they need lots of water, and they have a good size bowl big enough for 1 duckling at a time. I find it hard to keep it dry enough so they don't get a chill. I change it at least 3 times a day it's not dirty just wet. Any ideas?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I use puppy pee pads in the bottom of their brooder. They soak up quite a bit before they get too wet. If your ducklings are very young I'd recommend only letting them have their "swimming" water while you're there to supervise that they don't get chilled. They do need drinking water deep enough tho for them to clean their whole face under water. I put the pee pads under their waterer.

3. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    I use shavings, about 5-6 inches deep, and stir them 2x a day. I change/clean the Rubbermaid brooder every 2 days.

4. deeszoo

deeszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Use a covered bowl so that they cannot get in the water except when you want to. I used a milk carton and cut holes in the sides so they can reach in, but the holes are not big enough to climb in. I have different jugs for different stages of growth. I raise the holes as they grow, so the water is deep enough, and I make the holes bigger.

DeAnna

5. chickaboo7

chickaboo7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Manahawkin NJ
    Great idea!! Time for a glass of milk [​IMG]

6. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I love the milk jug idea --

hmm a glass milk sounds good - now where are my cookies [​IMG]

Julie

7. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    I'd love to see pictures of these mess proof duckling waterers.
    Got eggs in the bator.

8. tat2edlady

tat2edlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Quote:is there any way you could show pic as I am new to ducks and not sure what to do when mine hatch out

Mindy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by