Keep finding Wyandottes on the "Rare" lists on the hatchery websites?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SecretHavenFarm, Jan 14, 2011.

1. SecretHavenFarm

SecretHavenFarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2009
    Shadow Hills, CA
    Last spring I ordered some Wyandottes hens from mypetchicken. I decided this spring that I would order a rooster, so I got to mypetchicken and type in wyandotte. The first thing that pops up is their "assorted rare breeds" and sure enought in the list is gold & silver laced wyandottes? Whaaaat? lol

On MurrayMcMurray they are under their Rarest of the Rare group?

Why are they under these listings? are they really that rare? I just ordered them for fun lol

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    No, they're actually quite common.

You have to consider, hatcheries do a lot just to sell. They also claim to have breeds like Buff Cornish, Asils, Madagascar Game, Thailand Game, Araucanas, Ameraucanas, when they don't.

3. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Wyandottes are a recovered breed with Watch statis.

4. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    only hatchery wyandottes are commen standard bred are more on the rare side

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    They will print anything is it makes them a few extra bucks per chick. Htachery stock= common and good SQ breeder stock = rare but you do come across good looking ones at shows.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Go to a poultry show, you'll find there are more Wyandottes there than most other breeds. Next to them and sometimes even more though are Orpingtons, Rocks, etc.

7. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:Go to a poultry show, you'll find there are more Wyandottes there than most other breeds. Next to them and sometimes even more though are Orpingtons, Rocks, etc.

oh yes I understand that but compared to hatchery birds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by