Keep food in the run and in coop? Nevermind they are doing it! :)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by vjbakke, May 17, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    My girls and 8 and 7 wks old and go outside during the day. They haven't figured out yet to go back in the coop for food or at night. We've been helping them go up the ramp at night. I have been putting some food and water in their run seeing as they won't go in the coop to eat and drink. Should I continue this or work towards having it in the coop? I am thinking of always having some water in the run but not food? How can I work on getting them to go inside to eat?

Thanks

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

The trick is to leave them in the coop with their food and water. Let them go out on their own.

When they are adept at this and returning to the coop, you can move everything where you want it. Are they silkies?

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I have a small coop so chose to only have food and water in the run. I had to place them in the coop at dusk from several nights before they figured to go up on their own. That's just another way to make it work.

4. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Never mind! Last night they put themselves to bed and are going in and out today to eat! [​IMG]

5. Player Hater

Player Hater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    hey, glad they figured it out

imagine if you were abducted by benevolent aliens and made to live in an unfamiliar setting; it might take you a little while to work things out

chickens aren't as dumb as we think they are [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by