Keep it simple for 5 chickens what design

draaronr

Hatching
12 Years
Nov 22, 2007
I can build it myself just want the pointers or some easy plans would be even better. Planning to get 5 Rhode Island Reds. Want to keep them in a moderate size runa and let them free range the yard. i want something that i can build in a weekend and easy cleaning and egg collection. I went through all the designs and nothing was exactly what I wanted. I live in SE NC so the climate is moderate. Thanks.

Hmm...I am having the same problem. I always had a huge coop, now that I am in town and will have about 5 chicks I am not real sure of the size. I have three high school boys building me something here soon. We talked it over, but I am not sure what I am getting.

Quote:
Well, what *is* what you want, that is different from what you've seen examples of? (That is, what's wrong with the ones you've seen?) It is hard for us to give pointers or plans without more info...
wink.png

Pat, unfortunately not psychic
wink.png

When i built my first coop i stared by making notes of what I wanted. I wanted easy clean up so I put linoleum on the floor, I wanted some thing cute so I found a little bird house and copied it but bigger of course. My point is make a list and basic design then tweak it until it is what you want, like, need.

Give us more info...can't read your mind. How much do you want to spend? Does it have to have an external egg collection?
Keep this in mind: five chickens requires a minimum of 25 sq ft. For cost efficiency, it might be nice to make it 4x8 ft. This way, you can save on material cost.

slightly elevated, easy egg collection, easy to clean. Don't plan to get more than 5 chickes, so the logical size for 5 is what I need.

Just make a couple chicken tractors. Mine are 3' x 8', big enough for three or so hens, or a hen and chicks. Just move them every couple days to wherever you want fewer bugs and weeds and more fertilizer.

Back
Top Bottom