Keep one or send both roos to freezer camp? Update and pic

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mattsculpt, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Mattsculpt

Mattsculpt Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    Proctor, Arkansas
    I have my two 20 week old roosters separated in their own pen because they almost killed one of my hens a couple of weeks ago. They were chasing and aggressively mating her and tore the back of her head and neck open.
    I was planning on butchering them this weekend but now I'm not sure.
    Thursday two dogs dug a hole under the fence and got into my yard. They managed to kill one of the hens before my mom (who's 86) made it outside and chased them out of the yard with a stick. The reaction of the roosters was telling. She told me both where yelling their heads off before she got out there. However the creel one, who is the dominant rooster, hid in their coop while the white rooster was going berserk attacking the side of their pen trying to get at the dogs.
    Do you think that if I keep the white one he will calm down toward the hens once he is the only rooster? I'd love to have a protective rooster. Neither rooster is aggressive to people.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sounds like the white rooster has earned a second chance.

3. Mattsculpt

Oct 29, 2011
    Proctor, Arkansas
    I think so but how long before I try to put him back in with the hens? Will he still be attacking the hens instead of doing the rooster dance and waiting for them to accept him? I don't want another hen tore up.

4. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I had 2 young Roos for a little while and thought about keeping both as they were raised together and didn't fight. However, as the hormones started kicking in I noticed when one went after a hen, the other wanted to join in the act. I got rid of one and the other has been just fine. He is young and doesn't always wait for a hen to squat, but he isn't rough or overly aggressive toward them.

Not sure how long you should wait before reintroducing the white rooster but I think I would do it at night and then be available in the morning to supervise things.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If he were mine, I would not reintroduce him to the hens until they were mature and laying eggs. At that time they should be more receptive to him, and he will not have to compete with the other rooster.

6. Mattsculpt

Oct 29, 2011
    Proctor, Arkansas
    I went ahead and processed the Crele Rooster this morning as soon as it was light. I reintroduced the white rooster after I was finished and he is much improved in his behavior. If the hens peck him when he tries to mate he backs off and is not chasing any of the hens around. The hens are over a year old except for one who is also 21 weeks old.
    After everyone was settled down, I was out in the yard stretching out the skin of the processed rooster to dry. (The feathers were too beautiful to waste.)
    A red tail hawk flew overhead and the white rooster gave the alarm. The hens ran under the bushes and froze, but the rooster stood out in the middle of the yard, wings half spread, muttering and watching the hawk till it was out of sight.
    I'm very glad I kept him! Now all he needs is a name. [​IMG]

BTW he is a leghorn cream legbar cross. That's some light barring on his wings. Maybe not the handsomest rooster, but a real warrior.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by