Keep out signs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Carols Clucks, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Do any of you have some ideas for some friendly "keep out" "no trespassing" or "private property" signs that I could hand paint?

I need to word them so the neighbors are not offended and we sound neighborly, but still let "friends" know that before they trespass and steal all the fruit that it is STEALING. We have a fairly good chain-link 4' fence that also has a 7 foot hedge, but the double lower gate and our regularly giving away extra fruit has a few "friends" thinking it is cool to stop by and clear off the trees for us. I appreciate that I did not have to pick a few hundred extra large fat persimmons off the good tree this year, but we had planned on picking a few of the best ones to use or give to close friends.

We had someone stop by tonight (as it was getting dark....bet she thought we would not be there or see her) with her son, a 2 story picker and boxes. They did stop by the house and ask, Mom said that most of them soft ones were gone already but they could pick what was left-the crows were coming for them anyway. After a few minutes the lady came up through the garden with a few in a bag and said she was surprised that they were all gone. I explained to her that some one had come and stolen all the best ones a week or so ago. She did not say anything, but later fessed up to my mom that they had come and helped themselves a bit ago. And gave mom a whopping $10. I hope she understood that when we offer them it is because we have too many not that we are happy with people stealing them with out asking.

Mom hates to keep all the gates locked, but looks like we need to keep them locked AND post some signs. Doubt she will think it means her, but still would like her to think before she steals.

2. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Wow!

Just people taking a few is a little off but not really abnormal.... but that lady sounds rather strange! To come by when shes already taken a bunch and then have the nerve to wonder aloud why there weren't many left??!! Like maybe she wants to call your customer service department for the stolen goods?? [​IMG]

Still trying to think up some wordings for you... but definitely go ahead with locking those gates!

How about...

"Please call ahead"

"Donations Welcome"

"Persimmons $1.00 each, Please Pre-Pay"

"All out of fruit, please stop stealing"

"Free fruit available at OUR discretion"

"Please no ladders or boxes on our property"

Stuff like that comes to mind for friendliness....

3. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    Quote:I would probably stop by her house with my grocery bags, a siphon hose and 2 or 3 empty 10 gallon gas cans. I mean really, she shouldn't mind if you just walk into her house and helped yourself. I mean hey, what's a few groceries between friends?

4. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    What about: " please contact us if you are interested in purchasing fruit"
    That way people will see that the fruit is not a free buffet.

5. Carols Clucks

Oct 13, 2010
    I think she was surprised Mom had picked the few that were left, guessing she came back for those ones.

I recognize the lady because we have had her stop by in the past AFTER I listed them as free and on the curb. I think my bf's giant truck parked out front with us standing around as we loaded up tools scared her into coming up. Her son seemed like a nice enough kid (HS age) but I noticed her husband did not get out of the car or even look our way, he even went way up the street to turn around (dead end street) She seemed to justify it by telling me, well I do bring your mom persimmon bread. Only, my mom can make her own, they are HER persimmons after all. And mom is very health aware and uses the persimmons to sweeten food instead of sugar.

I need to write up one that says something like "even if your feet are on the street, your fruit picker is in our tree and on our side of the fence" It amazes me when they show up with the 16' pickers.

This lady probably would have walked around the house to get to the lower garden and the tree, or just had her son jump the fence. We can lock the 2 street gates, but hate to lock the gate to the chickens when we are home (they are on the lower part of the property with all the fruit trees)

6. Squishy

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    [​IMG]

7. Carols Clucks

Oct 13, 2010
    Quote:I would love to do that, but we have an overly aggressive health department and zoning dept and have already had the county come out and look for fruit stands and sales. (Nutty neighbor called-they hauled her off years ago) We just ask for a "donation to help with the water bill" if they can. I have a friend that makes $1500 a year selling his from one tree in a different SoCal city. We are lucky to make $150 on several trees. I can start the process to become certified organic and join the local farmers market, but just do not have time for that right now and it is a several year process and I have to buy a refrigerator truck.

8. Squishy

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Bad slow funny post sign!

I would probably be a little more stern with the signage and nevermind the neighbors.

Like...

"Touch grannys melons, we will make you a felon!"

"This fruit tree sprayed with cyanide" - or something like that.

"Danger! Wormy things found in fruit" - something like that too....

"Food pantry located at : XXYYZZ"

"Don't mistake generosity for lack of uses"

"Private farm, Private orchard, Private owners who like to enjoy the fruits of their labor" or "who like to eat too" or "who possess a telephone number! # 222-222-2222"

Still thinking....

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Perfect!!!

10. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Quote:I would love to do that, but we have an overly aggressive health department and zoning dept and have already had the county come out and look for fruit stands and sales. (Nutty neighbor called-they hauled her off years ago) We just ask for a "donation to help with the water bill" if they can. I have a friend that makes $1500 a year selling his from one tree in a different SoCal city. We are lucky to make $150 on several trees. I can start the process to become certified organic and join the local farmers market, but just do not have time for that right now and it is a several year process and I have to buy a refrigerator truck.

I think your farmers market is a good idea. I would look for markets that don't require the certified organic, and the refrigerator truck. I wouldn't worry about hurt the woman's feelings, and I would simply let the neighbors around know what is happening. She could be stealing from them too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by