Keep the bedding dry.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckMadness, Mar 22, 2017.

1. DuckMadness

DuckMadness Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2017
    Anyone know of an easy way to keep bedding dry in a brooder? My ducks keep spilling their water and I have them in a large dog crate now with shavings but they get super wet super quick. Any suggestions?

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    If you want to keep it dry don't put it in with the ducks.

3. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    :lau

Small high bowls are good, and if you can get equine bedding (or sawdust pellets) at tractor supply it will soak up some water

4. pomnovice

pomnovice Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2017
    Pennsylvania

I've heard of people placing pans, such as baking pans that would be flat and easy for a duckling to get into, underneath their waterer to reduce spillage onto bedding,as pans are easier to clean.

5. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington

Lol! I don't use anything absorbant with ducklings because it is not logical to me so I am with you on this. Ducks and water are inseparable so why mess up a good thing with absorbant bedding that stinks when it gets wet and makes the brooder so difficult to clean, unless you like fighting losing battles and throwing away money?

I use shelf liner over plastic grates so the water goes through to the channels in the plastic tub while the ducklings are high and dry. When they get swim time I rinse out their tub (using the water as fertilizer whenever possible), scrub with dish soap, and set it all up again. I have multiple tubs so I can even have a dry tub waiting for them and then wash out the used tub. It is so quick and easy, and the ducklings are happy and healthy.

6. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    I dont know how big your kennel is but in my outdoor brooder which is the coop so it has alot of space i used a big deep lid off a rubbermade container and have the water in there and its filled with pine shavings. Working great!
    Im trying to add a photo but not working for some reason this morning!
    [​IMG]

7. Bokros

Bokros Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    We have had success making a raised platform for their water. We used cut up 2x4s, making a rectangle shape. Then cover it with Hardware cloth. Then we put plastic paint trays under the platform to catch the water. The ducks love playing in their water so we have to empty the paint trays about once a day. But it seems to be working well so far! [​IMG]

8. Quackmeister

Quackmeister Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2016
    Florissant, MO
    Oh my goodness, I am going through this right now. I tried the pan idea but they still got extremely messy. Now I have tried a raised platform but my 3 ducklings still find a way to jump in their water. I'm about to move them into a bigger area so I will have to try the lid with bedding idea

9. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Just put hardware cloth over the water . they can stick their bills in but not their feet.

10. Ashleymarie529

Ashleymarie529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX

I don't think hardware cloth is big enough... maybe for a week. The idea is good, maybe replace hardware cloth with hexagonal chicken wire with the 1" hexagons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by