Keep the chickens warm with a "Thermocube"

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by katie4, Jan 12, 2012.

1. katie4

katie4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    My dad gave me a "Thermocube" brand plug in. The really cool thing about this plug-in is that it automatically turns on the plugged-in heat source when it senses 34 degrees Farenheit. It costs around $8 the last I checked at my farm and garden store.

The Thermocube looks like a 3-way splitter for a standard outlet plug and is about the same size. It plugs into a standard electrical outlet.

I love mine (and so do my chickens) as our weather is constantly unpredictable here in the great northwest. The evening can be mild and dip to a heavy frost by the next morning. Conversely, an evening can be cold and then turn mild by morning.

I'm cheap so I hate wasting energy heating a coop that doesn't need it and I want my hens to be comfortable and have something to ward off the damp. We get an average of 120 inches of rain a year. (Yep, 10 feet of rain annually and sometimes more!) so dampness is a huge issue.

Be careful about having things near the heat source that can catch fire. Also be careful not to overload circuits with too much plugged in.

I have my 75 watt heat lamp suspended by lightweight chain about 30 inches off the floor in the center of my coop. During the few frigid days/night we get the chickens get off their roosting sticks at night and huddle underneath the lamp.

None of the chicken folks/pet lovers locally knew about this cool resource so I thought I'd share my limited knowlege with my fellow chicken-lovers!

Happy winter!

2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Watch it carefully. Someone posted recently about one they had that burned up. I'm not sure of the details of his experience but I think it's in this section of the board.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yeah, I always recommend the thermocubes too. [​IMG] I love mine. I'm not sure if you're aware, but they have different models/ranges. I have one for fans and such (turns on at 78 degrees F) that I use in the summer time, one that comes on at 20F/off at 30, and the model you mentioned. I'm pretty sure there are models that come on at 10/off at 20, and there may even be an "on at 0/off at 10" model. Folks in super cold areas might like the lower temp models.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by