Keep the fingers off the lid, keep the fingers off the lid

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SueNH, Jun 4, 2008.

1. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    Keep the fingers off the lid, keep the fingers off the lid, Keep the fingers off the lid, keep the fingers off the lid, Keep the fingers off the lid, keep the fingers off the lid

I now have 4 bolt upright runners in the bator!!! 2 white ones hatched yesterday morning.
    1 mallard colored one and 1 black one hatched in the night.

I'm kind of worried about how long I can leave them in there.
    Day 28 isn't until the 5th. I usually give the eggs another couple days after that because of slow pokes.

Do I snatch the early ones out quick and throw a wet washcloth or something in? This is the second time I've had a very staggered hatch with shipped duck eggs.

The humidity outside the bator is near 100% inside it's 78%.

I'm inclined to snag the early birds out of there tonight. What should I do????

I'm nearly as excited as my first ever hatch!

2. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    I think you've got the hatching bug.....remedy...take two hands and sit on them!

3. SueNH

Feb 24, 2007
    Another mallardy colored one is out. #5

Surprised me. I didn't see a pip that far along. I do see a nice chunk out of another egg, little kung fu duck action next.
    Maybe this won't take forever.

I'm real happy to see the mallard colored ones. Those eggs went from Kansas to New Hampshire. Lot of traveling for a little egg.

The other set of eggs came from Massachusetts.

It amazes me how fast ducks grow. I have some older ones in a homemade ferret cage and they are 3x the size of the new ones at only 2 weeks old.

Of course! My kid has run off with my camera again.

4. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    Yeah!!! Get that camera back!!!

5. SueNH

Feb 24, 2007
    It's definitely a hand sitter.

It's raining out so I can't get lost outside. I'm doing laundry and I'm putting some serious mileage on between the computer, washing machine and incubator.

Why do they put those big picture windows in the incubators?!! Making me nuts peeking.

6. SueNH

Feb 24, 2007
    #6 popped out
    another dark one

I can see 4 other pips starting. Just big enough to tell they are true pips and not duck goo.

Rain stopped. I can loose myself in the seed basket for a bit.

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

You can snatch the 4 out of there and throw in a brand new sponge soaked with warm/hot water.

8. SueNH

Feb 24, 2007
    Thank you Sundown! I'll do that this evening. Right now I've got a few good pips showing and I really hate to mess things up.

I so happy! I don't expect a lot from shipped eggs so more than 2 makes me happy. I'm up to 6 so I'm ecstatic.

Even teeny tiny I can see the difference from the privately raised runners and the big hatchery runners.

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    With chicks still hatching and other pips, I would stay with the "hands off" approach. I wouldn't open it until tomorrow. If everyone is fluffy dry in the morning, then decide. They are fine for 3 days with no food or water. Hang in there..you're doing great. Congrats on the hatch!

Jody

10. SueNH

Feb 24, 2007
    #9 is on the way out. Pecking furiously.

I've got to pick my kid up in town. I fully expect #9 to be out by the time I'm back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by