Keep the little peckers or not

tnmommy

Songster
7 Years
Apr 14, 2013
Loretto, TN
I have never had this problem. Never. I've raised 3 other groups of chicks and this has never happened. I've had chicks that were not friendly, but...Two of my English/Standard Orpington chicks are more than just unfriendly. They are actively attacking me. It's not a curious peck. They are deliberately biting me. One is looking to be a cockerel and I will be rehoming it anyway. But even if I rehome both, I'd like to at least make them calm enough to handle. I have been picking up one so that it can't get away and carrying it until it settles down, to establish dominance. The other is not having it. Am I just wasting my time or are they destined for someone's freezer? I know my in-laws would take them off my hands for that purpose. I will NOT have mean chickens on my place.

krista74

Songster
5 Years
Jun 4, 2014
Victoria, Australia.
I don't blame you! I wouldn't want to be in fear of being attacked by a rooster either :)

Rehoming them is an option I guess, as long as they are going to a tolerant owner who will either train them out of the bad behaviour, or learn to put up with their carry-on.

I wouldn't want to see them go somewhere where there was children they could hurt though. Nor would I like to see any animal go somewhere where they themselves would be mistreated.

The other thing to consider is whether this mean streak should be allowed to breed on? I understand this behaviour can be genetic to a degree, so any offspring they may sire could turn out the same.

I am a lover of all animals and birds, and I don't want to start a controversy in saying this, but....everyone loves a good roast. It is an option to consider, if all else fails and you are at your wits ends with them.

Good luck which ever way you decide to go. It would not be an easy decision to make, and how disappointing it didn't turn out better for you. Better luck with the next batch :)

Krista

tnmommy

Songster
7 Years
Apr 14, 2013
Loretto, TN
Yes, I think my in-laws will get them. They may be a free-range couple until they are old enough to become supper. I just let them out to nibble on treats. The sweet pullet was far more interested in perching on my arm and being petted, the splash chick was tolerating being petted while eating treats, and the two mean chicks were actively biting me. Grrrrr.

Top Bottom