Keep the wind off your birds!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 7L Farm, Oct 28, 2011.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I know I'm in Texas but the north wind is killer. I put some 4 Mil doubled up plastic over the west windows & what a difference in the coop. The birds are ready for winter. Don't let the cold wind blow on the birds.

2. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    I working on the same process now. I need to block off part of my run. If I could find something that would be sturdy & not rip apart on the North side of my run, I would be set. Tried 4 mil, but the wind we had last week just ripped it apart. I do need to make some blow holes, so I don't have a giant sail.

3. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I just started to winterize the run today. Will do a more complete job this weekend. The coop is pretty tight as in no drafts so my concern is the run. It doesn't get to cold during this time in Bama but the wind could wreak havoc on the girls.

4. starina

starina Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Central New York
    I'm using 20 mil vinyl from Joann fabric. It is 54" wide, very clear, and comes by the yard. We have very high winds here, and 6mil plastic doesn't last a week in the winter.

5. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Quote:I used burlap last year on north and west sides of our run and it worked great to block most of the wind. We stapled the burlap to the frame of the run and then used twist ties to hold it to the outside of the hardware cloth.

6. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    Where did you find the burlap?

7. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Quote:At a farm supply store. I bought pieces of burlap that are used to wrap the ball of dug shrubs.

8. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yeah, it was a little breezy down here on the island last night. I had to rig a wind brake on the north end of the coop after I got home and locked up the chickens. That northern wind was kickin'... and quite cool.
    Edited for atrocious spelling!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  9. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    Burlap is commonly used in upholstery work. You might get some from a local reupholsterer, or a upholstery supply outfit.
    Long pieces are nice to work with. Here's some on the South side of my new coop.
    [​IMG]

10. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by