Keep up with Miracle and Hope -Updates Daily-

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by luvmypets, Jul 31, 2014.

1. luvmypets

luvmypets Songster

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    Miracle and her sister Hope are very special. They are two survivors from a confused mother

duck who was squishing her babies one by one as they hatched. It was awful because each baby had

pipped but withing hours they became pancakes in the bottom of the nests.It was heartbreaking and

after three babies being squished she only had two eggs left.They were both externally pipped and

there was one last resort. Give them to a RSL broody in the next coop over. So i prayed that the

chicken would save them. The next morning i was so stressed. I didnt know if they were alive or

dead. I didnt know if they hatched and she rejected them. I walked into the coop and lifted up the

hen and saw a black duckling bottom...still wet. Further back was the second duckling

all fluffed up. They are now 3 days old and cuter than ever!

Here is Miracle.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Here is Hope
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And here is there momma Penny
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. calichicken

calichicken Crowing

Hi! [​IMG] Signing on to this thread to watch how these babies grow! So glad momma Penny took them under her wing [​IMG]

3. Orca5094

Orca5094 Songster

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    That's terrible about momma duck squishing her other ducklings, but thank goodness you were able to give the last two to a hen and they hatched! Was momma duck stressed for some reason? First time mom?

Well, can't wait to see some updates on these two little guys! They are adorable! Are they Cayugas?

4. luvmypets

luvmypets Songster

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    Thanks everyone. Going to check on them now!

I think miracle is a cayuga and hope is a cayuga/buff.

5. luvmypets

luvmypets Songster

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    So i had a scare today. When i went to check on the babies i only saw hope. I didnt see miracle anywhere. I saw the feeder tipped over and expected she got crushed. I carefully lifted the feeder and miracle falls out. I guess she somehow got the botttom off and climbed in. Silly girl. Other than a head covered in chick feed she is fine. Hope is getting a very intricate patter on her chest. I can tell it will be amazing.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  6. Orca5094

Orca5094 Songster

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Omg, that crazy little duck! Glad Miracle was ok. :)

7. calichicken

calichicken Crowing

Whew...silly Miracle!!! No more proving your name little one...already earned..LOL

8. luvmypets

luvmypets Songster

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast

Thanks haha! She is such a silly baby. She look hilarious when she came out. I just panicked cause i couldnt see her and thought she died and was burried under the straw. But when she fell out i was like :lau

9. Orca5094

Orca5094 Songster

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Got any pics of them with their adopted mom? I'd love to see! :)

10. luvmypets

luvmypets Songster

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    i. Can take sone later :)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: